The "Smoking" Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've seen this in testing of weapon systems where smokers were more tolerant of CO produced by firing weapons from closed combat vehicle turrets. Maybe something similar happens with CO2 accumulation which is what makes you want to breath.

However, as a non-smoker, you could take the money you save and buy a larger tank if you need more gas. And, because of your increased life expectancy, you should be able to use it a lot longer.

I'm going to quit soon though, already bought my patches....

If the patches don't work you can switch to smokeless tobacco. You can do it in your office, it doesn't stink up your clothes, and it only kills 1% of its users vs. around 50% for cigarettes. UST (the leading US smokeless tobacco producer) is lobbying the FDA to allow them to market their products (Skoal and Copenhagen) as being safer than cigarettes.

Just something to think about...plus you get to look cool spitting everywhere!

Originally posted by O-ring

If the patches don't work you can switch to smokeless tobacco.

Worm dirt! YECK :)

Damn, this is getting interesting, unfortunately I got to sign off looking forward to reading any further comments tomorrow !

So there may be a chance that smokers use less air after all...........GOODNIGHT.

Worm dirt! YECK

You know what they say...you can take the boy out of Oklahoma, but you can't take the Oklahoma out of the boy...

You would look REALLY cool chewing good old leafy Red Man on your next dive trip....it makes a good quality spit that is kind of a cross between burnt coffee and maple syrup..

:spew:

for the past 12 years. Yes you can dip and dive. :wink: Like WreckW said, it's comfort and streamlining in the water that helps the air comsumption. Now if I can figure out how Dee and even my wife (newbie w/ only 9 dives), can virtually MAKE air, I can be rich! May transplant womens lungs and take hormones? :doctor:

tony

I'm a new diver, and a smoker (I know, I know..heard it ALL before!) and my air consumption is pretty good for a new diver. I by FAR had the best consumption out of my class, and only had about 300psi lower than my instructor. I don't know if it's a tolerance to CO2 or not, I DO believe it was the fact that I really felt at home under the water, and payed attention to how I was breathing and finning, along with enjoying what we were seeing and enjoying the nice cool water. (Found a nice chilly thermocline where it was 68! It felt SOOOOO good since the air temp was 103.) In all, I also believe it has more to do with comfort levels.

Kristey

Been diving for 10 or so years, stopped smoking 2 years ago in september (13th at 11pm...)

My air consumption has decreased over the last two years, not hugely, but noticably.

I'd done probably 250 dives before I stopped smoking, so I'm assuming I was as comfortable as I am now, so that wasn't a factor. My fitness has fluctuated over the time, and I'm probably slightly heavier now than when I smoked.

Another comparison is that my GF smokes, although is also giving up. She's been diving for three years with me, done about 100 dives I guess, and is very comfortable in the water. Even though she weighs 60 kilos, and I weigh 85, I normally use less air than she does.

Not conclusive, but it'll do for me.

Mike

Hi O-ring

Just something to think about...plus you get to look cool spitting everywhere!

Wouldn't that sort of give you a brown outlook after defogging your mask?? :yuck:

And I thought that it gave you cancer in the mouth??

Gentelmen, chose your poison. :wink:

........ I'm one of those darn smokers. Although, as a younger person I had a better breath holding capability, but cannot remember my air consumption rates. Now after years of smoking, I continually think about this very same question. If you remember, in being certified (at least with PADI) They mention the dangers of smoking quite frequently, saying that you should NOT , both before and after diving. (for how long?) As they claim this increases the risk for DCS. What surprised me though, was almost all my instuctors, DM's, and fellow divers smoked. BTW, I know more divers/professionals, that Do smoke that not. Huh?
It would be interesting to hear from one of our resident Doc's on this.:doctor:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom