The "Smoking" Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeMc

Registered
Reaction score
I recently had a great diving trip to Okinawa Japan (Excellent Diving !) I dived with a person that smoked every day - I am a non smoker excercise regularly, but am hard on air - the smoker was light on air, always coming up with near 1000psi. left. I was totally knocked out to find that Smoking divers are lighter on air !
Does anybody (Smokers or non-smokers) have comments to add ?
It was the first instance I found of smoking being an advantage.
Looking forward to reading any posts related to this subject.
Bye
MIke

I don't smoke, haven't been smoking for almost 20 years now.

I think the answer lies in your profile: you are a heavy air-consumer because you don't dive too much or at least not as regularly (cold waters all year round and such, plus the much appreciated tropical dives).

"Normal" regular exercise, whatever you do, is not necessarily a help in airconsumption, although it would help if you trained a bit in a pool, totally equipped.

Thanks for reply ! I neglected to mention our dive master told us Smokers are lighter on air in general...........

Does the Dive Master in question smoke?

Most pros do (although I am an exception, the probable reason is I have a "regular" job despite my Dive Master certification).

Of course someone who dives every day, twice a day, all year round, will come out with more air than the average vacationer.

Most smokers consume less?

No, I think this is basically bull****, probably a stupid excuse for a very bad habit:smoking:

NOPE !! Divemaster Abhors smoking in his vicinity, I am going to do some research on this as I now have 2 conflicting opinions from 2 experts !
Bye and thanks
MIke

I've been off the nasty habit for a couple of years now. My last year smoking was one of those 200 dives a year year, in the Red Sea no less. Since then I have dived less but have not used noticably more air (with the exception of the first dive after a break in diving). According to the theory that says smokers are lighter on air I should be using more... maybe there are residual affects.

Do you think it possible that smokers use less of their lung capacity than a non smoker therefore needing less air ??????

No correlation in my opinion. Air consumption depends on factors such as physical condition, size, and most importantly, comfort in the water. A smoker who is comfortable will use less air than a non-smoker who is not. All factors being equal it only makes sense that the non-smoker will use air more efficiently.

I do smoke, my current SAC rate is around .5 I agree though that smoking is a nasty foolish habit with zero redeeming benefits.

Tom

So though a smokers lungs are damaged the same amount of air is inhaled ? This has now got me wondering......

Well, a few years ago, when I was freediving, I had a 3 minute breath hold, while smoking. I don't know about damaged lungs and such but I've always managed pretty well. I'm going to quit soon though, already bought my patches....

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom