The Shearwater Teric Announced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, for once in my life a little procrastination has paid off. I'm in the midst of taking some Tech refresher training; was trying to figure out what to do about a backup OC trimix tech computer (to my non-AI Perdix); watched this thread all day yesterday plus the SW website plus YouTube videos. The need to recharge basically every night with access to enough power for the charger concerns me a little bit, but my dive adventures these days are much "more comfortable" and "less rustic" than they were in my youth. It is expensive, but I have already basically blown any concept of a budget, so I'm in line now for when Shearwater actually ships them to the dealers.

David,

For what it's worth, a quality battery bank with Qi charging will likely quash any of your concerns. I have one that I keep in my vehicle on the 12 volt charger at all times. Tonight I had a meeting and consequently my smart phone battery was drained to 12% after a long day of use at work. While using the phone I was able to fully charge it in less than three hours during the meeting. No outlet needed.

Most modern boats would probably have charging ports, but the fact Teric is Qi capable is pretty sweet.

Shearwater should just brand their own battery bank and sell them. :wink:

Here's one I got as a gift from a conference I was at a couple months ago. Love this thing.

(Hint hint Shearwater)
20180530_214622.jpg

Note that hardware based features like audible beepers and vibration motors can't be added to existing units.
:clapping: :thumb:

I don't see the comparison to a heart rate monitor that doesn't provide anything relevant to a dive ...

You never know what the future will hold!

I was at a lecture last week where Joe Dituri was discussing some early work in using heart rate variability to detect hypercapnea before it even becomes clinically apparent. I think that every CCR diver would be interested in getting that system up and running.

You never know what the future will hold!

I was at a lecture last week where Joe Dituri was discussing some early work in using heart rate variability to detect hypercapnea before it even becomes clinically apparent. I think that every CCR diver would be interested in getting that system up and running.

Yes. Perhaps some utility will be discovered. I won't say never. As of right now though, how do you determine a potential medical concern from fun? I wouldn't want an increased deco obligation just because I was having a good time or surprised by something not typical. Like a cool marine encounter or a run in with girls that scuba doing their 100th dive. :wink:

I just wanted to write that few pages ago... If you are able to get in touch with a fitness coach and do any physical activities a heart monitor are needed at least to monitor your heart rate zone and didplay your progression. As a motivation boost this help a lot.

Currently you got plenty of innovative products to deal with your training.

From my point of view Polar brand are kinda solid and reading here and there you got some nice cardio watch comparison.

Heart Rate Variability are kinda great some devices and websites are more accurate than other.

Now as an option I would like to see Shearwater going into Heart rate monitoring and diving. Specially if it can be used outside diving for a long term tracking even after a dive. So divers do buy whatever version they want. Got a standalone version and options like AI, HR

Yes. Perhaps some utility will be discovered. I won't say never. As of right now though, how do you determine a potential medical concern from fun? I wouldn't want an increased deco obligation just because I was having a good time or surprised by something not typical. Like a cool marine encounter or a run in with girls that scuba doing their 100th dive. :wink:

No, it's not the actual heart rate that they measure, but the beat to beat variability in certain portions of the electrical signal from the pulse (QRS complex measurements, I believe). And it wouldn't have anything to do with deco, it would be an early warning sign of elevated CO2 levels.

I'm assuming that you might know this, but one of the biggest fears in rebreather diving is a CO2 hit, precisely because it can sneak up on you and then make it very difficult to react appropriately. If there was a reliable way of knowing that your blood CO2 level was rising, you could get off the loop early before it was too late.

If anything, seeing naked divers might make me hyperventilate and drop my CO2 levels! :D

No, it's not the actual heart rate that they measure, but the beat to beat variability in certain portions of the electrical signal from the pulse (QRS complex measurements, I believe). And it wouldn't have anything to do with deco, it would be an early warning sign of elevated CO2 levels.

I'm assuming that you might know this, but one of the biggest fears in rebreather diving is a CO2 hit, precisely because it can sneak up on you and then make it very difficult to react appropriately. If there was a reliable way of knowing that your blood CO2 level was rising, you could get off the loop early before it was too late.

If anything, seeing naked divers might make me hyperventilate and drop my CO2 levels! :D

Yes, well aware of the problem CO2 presents for divers, especially closed circuit. That would be beneficial if it could work as you describe. The deco comment was in reference to the earlier suggestion I was responding to from my response you quoted.

What are the projections for availability on the product? What are the likely first retail outlets?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom