The Scuba Snobs' Guide to Diving Etiquette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you order a paperback copy of this book, and you get one with "Authorhouse" on each page as a visible water mark,please pm me and let me know and I will try to get a replacement for you. Or cpm me your email and we can arrange to send you one direct from us with no marks for a little below retail.
DIvemasterDennis

A recent review from "Fred" on Amazon, Canada (typos and all):

This book is a quick and pleasant read with important information for all new divers and perhaps some good reminders for the veterans. We have all been taught and continue to work on our diving techniques, but no one else so clearly teaches the social conventions associated with scuba diving. Many, if not most of the book's lessons can be generalized under the heading of "Practice Good Manners". However, the authors deal with some "rules" for situations that Dear Abby would never have covered. The authors provide useful thoughts, often illustrated by humourous anecdotes, on such matters as avoiding underwater crowding, expected behaviour on dive boats, and a host of other situaions. Staying slightly above and behind other divers is a great tip. My only criticism of the book is that it is too short in length. I await the sequel and hope it is loaded with more anecdotes. People can be boorish anywhere. A crowded diveboat and an underwater group dive both provide great opportunities for the most humourous examples of poor behaviour. After reading this book, hopefully divers will have a little more incentive to keep in mind that diving is usually a shared experience. We should all be dive snobs if it means taking that little bit of extra care for each other. For those who refuse, they should be prepared to read about themselves as the dive snobs expose their boorishness in the next volume.

Some areas of etiquette that may not have been mentioned:

Avoid being critical of another choice of equipment. Everyone makes their own selection based on experience and personal preferences. It's OK to comment on what you yourself prefer, but refrain from negative comments about the choices of others.

The same thing goes for how a person elects to dive. Remember that each of us has a different level of training, experience, fitness and ability. Because certain diving conditions may indicate that you should refrain from diving, each of us are entitled to make this decision for ourselves. The bottom line is that safety is each diver's personal responsibility. Thumb any dive you don't feel comfortable with and don't criticize others if that's their call.

review from amazon.com:

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it.., February 24, 2014
By
Snap -

This review is from: The Scuba Snobs' Guide To Diving Etiquette: ------- (Paperback)
Ok, what an awesome relieve from all other boring reading out there. These folks are like my heroes. Not because they dive and not because they discovered a cure for stupidity, but because they can spot someone doing something dumb, unsafe, and just plain annoying, and they call them out (in the book) in plain colorful English. You can feel their frustration in every exclamation point and in every sarcastic remark. Vary cool read and vary cool people.

Our thanks to the UK and Caribbean Islands who purchase through amazon.co.uk for a recent surge in sales of both books. We appreciate the international support!
DivemasterDennis

new review on amazon:
By
JJK - See all my reviews

Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: The Scuba Snobs' Guide To Diving Etiquette: ------- (Paperback)
great book for divers that travel the world (gave it 5 stars. )

I purchased both books at a Denver Dive Show...in Denver, a couple of years ago where I finally met Dennis and his charming wife. I had communicated with Dennis via ScubaBoard for a couple of years beforehand, but a personal visit was very worthwhile. Life got in the way of things thus I never got around reading either book. So when I flew from Denver to San Francisco to Honolulu to Kwajalein last April I purchased both books on Kindle. The read was just like talking in person with Dennis; I could hear his voice and imagine seeing his face as I read the different chapters. His style of writing absorbs you into the story and you feel as if you are experiencing the same things as his was...you just want to interact with Dennis and jump right into the story; say and do things as if you are living them out yourself. Good read for such a long flight. Great set of books for anyone's personal library.

Well done Dennis...:cool3:

~Oldbear~

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom