The Rum and Pete update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RumBum

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey Swampers! :wavey: This post will be an update on the progress of Rumbum and Chrispete and our motorhome adventure. I finally quit my job 8-31 and we left Austin on Sept 1st. We travelled Texas for a while visiting family and saying adios. We went to the Caverns of Sonora in West Texas, that place is gorgeous! It'd be a good weekend trip for any Texan. Our last stop in Texas was at Balmorhea. We've been touring New Mexico for a few weeks now. We've been to Carlsbad Caverns, Roswell, White Sands National Monument, Lincoln National Forest, Truth or Consequences hot springs, and now we're near Albuquerque where we attended the Balloon Fiesta. We dove Blue Hole, NM yesterday. The water was extremely clear and temp was 61 degrees. It's essentially an 81 ft deep vertical cavern zone; the cave at the bottom is grated closed. The locals have placed trinkets and toys on the ledges all around. The rock structures are neat and there is no life except a few goldfish that probably came from Walmart.
We have had to do a couple repairs. We've lost an air conditioner, Chris fixed the furnace, we have 2 failing levellers, we paid for a repair on the satellite dish (for internet service) already. We're learning to live on Chris's income, I'm learning to cook and to make alot of stuff homemade. We move about every 4 days to a week. If we run out of money we stay put until Chris gets paid again.
The next big goal is the Grand Canyon. After that we'll tour Arizona and we may move to Mexico for a week or so to dive the Sea of Cortez!
We're loving this lifestyle! It's perfect for us. :eek:k:
If you want to follow our adventures we have a blog at http://blog.peterman.us
We really miss our friends so please send us a line sometimes to say HI!!! :callme:

That sounds so cool! I would love to pick up and run off in our camper, someday I am sure we will! We are headed out west over spring break next year, staying at several state parks along our way, and I can't wait. I will check out your blog, I am esp. interested in what camping will be like at the Grand Canyon.

Rhonda

Edit: LOVE the blog, great pictures! I'm soooo jealous. Also checking out the caverns of Sonora to see if we can hit that too when we head west in the spring.

Last edited:
Sounds cool... 'Glad you 2 are having a Great adventure.

Last edited:
So good to hear from you two!!! Have been wondering if you had really done it, wow. I can see yall living that way and loving it, that's awesome. We are living in our RV also, but not moving around- we're on our land, preparing to build a house & shop. I strongly suspect the moving around and seeing all these sites makes the RV adventure much more pleasurable... :wink:

Please keep us up with all your adventures! And be very careful if you go in to Mexico, keep those reports coming!! Miss you,

WOW!!! sounds like you guys are living the good life ...I wish I had the nerve to quit my job and just travel....and I have thought about it more than once....then a bill comes due and I snap back to reality :(

What a difference 24 hours makes. Within minutes of Melissa posting this thread we got a call that my Dad was in the ICU and was being prepped for bypass surgery. The good news is that they caught the problem with tests before he had a major heart attack. He ended up with a quad bypass and thankfully has so far been recovering with only minor complications. We've turned around and are headed back to Beaumont, TX as quickly as we can to be with family and to help manage his business and the projects he had going. Thankfully we can stay as long as we're needed.

We'll resume our wanderings once he tells us to get out of his hair. :wink:

Chris

What a difference 24 hours makes. Within minutes of Melissa posting this thread we got a call that my Dad was in the ICU and was being prepped for bypass surgery. The good news is that they caught the problem with tests before he had a major heart attack. He ended up with a quad bypass and thankfully has so far been recovering with only minor complications. We've turned around and are headed back to Beaumont, TX as quickly as we can to be with family and to help manage his business and the projects he had going. Thankfully we can stay as long as we're needed.

We'll resume our wanderings once he tells us to get out of his hair. :wink:

Chris

Hey Chris!

Sorry to hear about your dad, but glad to hear he's doing better! If y'all need anything while you're in town, let me know and I'll do what I can to help. Texting is the fastest way to catch me: cavediver at vtext.com

Last edited:
Hey Chris, so sorry about your dad, but I am grateful that he didn't have a heart attack, also. That will make a huge difference in his recovery and future health, so glad for you all that they caught it in time!!! Take care of your family, and try to enjoy the time you have there with them. Very cool that you're free to do just that.

Thanks guys, he was already up and walking less than 24 hours after the surgery. They were getting ready to move him out of CICU and into a private room when we chatted with him last night. We're still not there but should be arriving today.

Back
Top Bottom