Info The Rule of 120

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The people that designed it would call that a feature not a bug as they don't believe you should be at that depth without helium.

The rule appeared long before helium was popular. Diving to 200 ft on air was common in the US and Europe.

I stole it from the GUE.

Late comers to the game.

“Recent” doesn’t equal “wrong.”
Let's track this conversation:
Manatee suggests the Rule of 120 came from GUE.
I said it much predated GUE.
You said recent doesn't mean wrong.
But who is talking about right and wrong? The conversation was about about chronology.
You seem very defensive.

The people that designed it would call that a feature not a bug as they don't believe you should be at that depth without helium.

If they don't believe they should be at that depth without helium, then they shouldn't. Their beliefs have nothing to do with me.

Let's track this conversation:
Manatee suggests the Rule of 120 came from GUE.
I said it much predated GUE.
You said recent doesn't mean wrong.
But who is talking about right and wrong? The conversation was about about chronology.
You seem very defensive.
You seem to understand what’s going on when you don’t.

My dude wasn’t saying what you thought he was. He was being tongue in check. Just like when I pulled a line from Airplane. Which went over your head. As airplanes, by definition, are wont to do.

You seem to understand what’s going on when you don’t.

My dude wasn’t saying what you thought he was. He was being tongue in check. Just like when I pulled a line from Airplane. Which went over your head. As airplanes, by definition, are wont to do.
You know, on the internet, jokes and sarcasm and in-humor and such do not fly well, speaking of airplanes. The worst is when somebody says something they really mean, get called on it, and then says, "Hey, i was just joking!"

Everyone knows that if you breath nitrox as deep as 101 feet you catch fire.

True facts, it starts in the regs due to all the friction from gas density.

If they don't believe they should be at that depth without helium, then they shouldn't. Their beliefs have nothing to do with me.

No one is putting a gun to your head to use it. Not every tool is for every person.

Ummm......this does not give us any confidence for your average depth and/or modified rule of 130. I simply don't understand why anyone would bother with any of this while diving, and unless you don't have access to your computer or tables to do some pre-dive planning, what's the point?
That’s a dumb comment. I’ve been bent more times than you can imagine. Mostly sub clinical dcs or skin bends. Some minor visual disturbances. I was also dead ass tired after every dive. As my dives progressed and skin bends got a little worse (meaning I couldn’t blame my drysuit for it he skin marks), I got tested for a pfo and was negative. Kept diving but got way more conservative and the dcs symptoms occurred less. 6 years later I was able to find a cardiologist who could actually locate the pfo. It’s been fixed and now after dives I feel invigorated. So much that I annoy my wife.
I will counter oya’s response to you with this opinion. You’ve likely been around someone with dcs or even had it yourself. The problem is it’s often sub clinical.

As far as bronze-age Persians who were diving using a waxed goat stomach we a breathy bag, Aqualung was a latecomer.

You have to wonder how many of those divers embolized themselves before that project was abandoned. I don't see many people lining up to unstrap a goat stomach from some poor soul spewing bloody froth and gasping for air.

Reactions: oya
You know, on the internet, jokes and sarcasm and in-humor and such do not fly well, speaking of airplanes. The worst is when somebody says something they really mean, get called on it, and then says, "Hey, i was just joking!"
In-humor?

Wait... DUDE! You've never seen Airplane?

Surely you can't be serious?

You have to wonder how many of those divers embolized themselves before that project was abandoned. I don't see many people lining up to unstrap a goat stomach from some poor soul spewing bloody froth and gasping for air.
1656825295558.png

This was actually the one dude.

His name was Steve.

Everyone told him that closed circuit rebreathers were more than 2000 years away, but Steve always followed his own way. And went hypercapnic from rebreathing his own dolmas burps out of a goat stomach. And died. Because he was a bronze-age idiot.

Beloved husband, brother, and uncle. He enjoyed fishing and curling his beard. He'll be missed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom