the risks of housing leaks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tonym,

Next time you see Cathy ask her why she got kicked off the bottom time adventures boat in the bahamas! :wink: Then tell her I learned more on that boat than anything she's ever put out.

I do *NOT* pull the ring when i change film. I do a very intense inspection and if anything fails she gets sidelined untill I have a chance to see what's going on. This is why we have 'backup' rigs! :)

The *ONLY* reason I had a flood was because of the drop on the airport. Ikelite told me one of the glands was broken and the shaft bent. Guess it just came down to a question of timing, good thing it was the last dive of the last day.

jiveturkey,

A housing is like anything else, it has a chance of failure. Flood insurance is your friend! Rather spend the $150 / year than cover the cost of one single flooding. Also wise man once said never take anything in the water your not willing to leave there, this include scuba gear, bring along gear like cameras, camcorders, recording devices, scientific equipment, etc.. See my other post on killer lanyards/neckstraps and the shark.

Ed

I have two Top Dawg video housings. In about 450 dives I have experienced three "flooding" events. Two were definitely my fault- in one case there was a tiny thread that ran across both o-rings that I missed, in the other a large hair apparently fell from my head onto the o-ring after I had inspected it but before I sealed it.

The third event had no detectable cause, but I think it may have been due to leaving the sealed housing in the sun on my surface interval , then taking it into 55 degree water where it became a vacuum. I now cover the housing with a towel when topside.

The video camera was unharmed in each of these events. Only the housing electronics were fried as there was only about 1-2 tablespoons of water in the housing.

Dr. Bill

I have a Canon S30 digital camera with the housing . . . .should I take the o-ring out of the housing and clean it? What's the best way of doing that without damaging it?
I've been hesitant to do it because it isn't mentioned anywhere in the maintenance instructions of the housing. If I removed+replaced it and then the camera flooded . . would my insurance cover it if they found I'd done something not recommended by the manufacturers?

Hello,

before the start of every dive trip I will pull the rings, inspect them, clean them, put them back, inspect them and inspect them again. I don't believe you can over inspect the rings (a good look over to make sure they are ok) Remember the back Oring on a housing does not get any lube.

Ed

annie once bubbled...
I have a Canon S30 digital camera with the housing . . . .should I take the o-ring out of the housing and clean it? What's the best way of doing that without damaging it?
I've been hesitant to do it because it isn't mentioned anywhere in the maintenance instructions of the housing. If I removed+replaced it and then the camera flooded . . would my insurance cover it if they found I'd done something not recommended by the manufacturers?

Annie,

While it's true I have heard of some manufacturers using O-rings that needed no grease or removal to maintain, they've been few and far between. All manuals are notorious for leaving out the best stuff! I'm sure some Canon owners will speak up but I'm positive you should be cleaning and greasing your o-ring on a regular basis. I do mine either the evening before or each morning before a day of diving. The housing is opened after the second dive to change camera batteries and memory cards and I'll inspect the o-ring then but seldom remove it. At night after a full days diving, the housing is cleaned well including the o-ring and channels. This is especially important if you are doing beach dives or in water where alot of sediment is stirred up. Sand can get around your o-rings and cause nothing but trouble.

Hello,

While it's true I have heard of some manufacturers using O-rings that needed no grease or removal to maintain, they've been few and far between

They are not that uncommon. In fact ikelite tells you to NEVER lube the rear o-ring. There are more than one type of connection that requires a user servicable o-ring. Lubing O-rings is like oiling weapons, some you need to oil alot and some you never need to oil.

Ed

blacknet once bubbled...
Hello, They are not that uncommon. In fact ikelite tells you to NEVER lube the rear o-ring. There are more than one type of connection that requires a user servicable o-ring. Lubing O-rings is like oiling weapons, some you need to oil alot and some you never need to oil.

Ed

I stand corrected.

As to the question Annie asked about Canon housing directions, I believe the rest of the information to be correct.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom