The removal of Edmonds Oil dock...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi George,

Great! Even if we don't get a chance to speak at this Tuesdays meeting I think, for myself, going down to the Edmonds City Council and chatting with some of the folks will give me a better idea if they are willing and able to consider some alternatives for removing the pilings. Honestly, I've never been to a council meeting so would appreciate having the company of anyone who wishes to be there in support of the dock and its inhabitants.

If folks are interested in saving the dock (aka: artificial reef) please extend the invite to be at the city council meeting to your dive buddy lists, online groups, residence, business owners, conservation groups, and dive shops.

The council meeting begins at 7pm and is held in the Public Safety Complex - 250 5th Avenue North, Edmonds, WA 98020

Thanks George for the original post and inspiration to join with others to work at preserving something we cherish.

Sincerely,
LeAnne
ps. I've put up a Yahoo Groups site called "SaveTheDock" for further information and to allow folks to post photos, stories, comments and ideas.

LeAnne and several of us sat through a three hour city council meeting on the budget to get our three minutes of fame to express our concerns for the removal of the dock and to pass around some photographs that illustrate some of the life there. most of the photos are here:http://picasaweb.google.com/oceanorigin/EdmondsOilDockALivingReef12308513PM#slideshow

Several of the city Council members looked through the photos with wide eyes, apparently not aware of just how much life is down there, even asking if there was something that could be done this late in the game... one even came up afterword to ask questions. I did point out that these photos are from one dive in october, a time of year in which it's thought there would be less life there.

At this point it's seemingly too late to do anything, but it's no wonder that folks have waited to the last minute to make such comments, as the public land use notice only went up on the property last week, days before construction began!! I do not consider the public hearings on the plans of the DOT and WSF to be sufficient public notice of such a large scale removal of marine life. Had we had more time to make comments, there is no doubt a lot more that could be done and that makes me more than a little suspicious that the style of public notice was intended to go under the radar.

if you are so inclined, please communicate your concerns about this project directly to the council members or even agencies outside the city, as it seems that they are the ones who will be surprised by what we have to show. I don't get the feeling that going through the official point person on this project will result in your comments going anywhere other than the trash bin.

Last edited:
Good luck on this! -- I never got a chance to dive there.

Just as a side note -- You could mention its also a tourist attraction.
I am an out of washington state diver who travels to Washington regularly to dive -- thus brining in money to the local economy. The city should be increasing the diver opportunities in the area not making us tourist divers go elsewhere.

hey flyinV, thanks for the encouragement!

As for the diving and tourism, there seems to be no traction in that realm, the city of edmonds, being the only city in WA state to sponsor a marine park, already feels it's got that base covered... and understandably I might add, if only they understood the difference between the two sites first hand, they might see the logic and cleaning up the site and saving the deep water portion.
sigh, if only I didn't have so many other responsibilities I'd have been on this a while ago.

it's never too late for folks to comment... it aint over till it's over!

g

Good luck on this! -- I never got a chance to dive there.

Just as a side note -- You could mention its also a tourist attraction.
I am an out of washington state diver who travels to Washington regularly to dive -- thus brining in money to the local economy. The city should be increasing the diver opportunities in the area not making us tourist divers go elsewhere.

I listed it on the WA State Tourism site last year. They are interested in promoting diving as an attraction. I'm working on another project now.

Oil dock

Jack

oh, hey Jack, nice to see you on the board (George here)

I do believe they are interested in tourism to the park, but the official stance is that they are not promoting diving anywhere else and for that reason (according to the contact) there is little/no sympathy for the diving aspect of this debate.

I'm afraid to say that short of a court injunction to pause the project while these things get sorted out, it's bye bye for the pier... does anyone know of an individual or organization with the resources to take this on?

g

I listed it on the WA State Tourism site last year. They are interested in promoting diving as an attraction. I'm working on another project now.

Oil dock

Jack

Last edited:
Great video! Thank you!

Awesome video. I think it gets the point across. Does anyone care to report on the dock status in the new year?

Thanks! the full demolition is well underway. The last time I took a look out there nearly all the west end had been removed but there appeared to be a circle of maybe 15 pilings visible , cut off just above the high tide mark, but I wouldn't hold my breathe, the last I was told is that everything was being removed right down to the sea bed and there has been no sign of consideration for divers complaints.

wouldn't it be a nice surprise to find that the powers that be saved a portion of the deep water section.:D

g

Back
Top Bottom