The problem with bb's-nh's-nb's...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeepSeaDan

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
The average scuba student of yore was often a robust male with pulverizing pecs & a penchant for doing pushups on the side of the pool...with a tank on his back for good measure.

Nowadays the pendulum has swung, again on average, to a considerable distance the other way. Diving is no longer the preserve of the barrel-chested bucks; we now have the young, the older, & that great, multitudinous heap in the middle. Okay, as long as they meet standards & are medically fit to dive, we give them our best shot at learning to swim with the fishes. Dropping the old standard of having washboard abs has its drawbacks though...I refer to the "bb's, nh's, nb's" diving candidate, or...

"Big Belly, no hips, no butt"

Now don't get me wrong, individuals with such anatomical traits can become exceptional divers...but how do we keep their weight belts on them while we train them?!?

I remember one such gentleman. All through his course I had reminded him to keep his weight belt snug to prevent it from slipping off his body. Now on his o/w checkout, he had just completed a reasonable stride entry & moved to pair up with his waiting buddy. I followed him in & as I turned to face him some 8 feet distant I noticed a look of concern on his face & he was sculling his arm's quite rapidly on the surface. I made a bee-line for him & as I drew closer I noticed his legs were bent 90 degrees at the knees as his weight belt hung from his calves! No way was he going to lose that belt!

I have further witnessed similarly proportioned would-be porpoises finning merrily along with their belt riding halfway down their butts. If it wasn't so dangerous, it could almost be funny.

The simple answer is weight-integrated b.c.'s, but how many dive shops provide such gear as rental equipment? Perhaps it is time they did.

Anyone else seen or experienced such a problem?

Regards,
D.S.D.

I understand your problem. As for your solution, what happen to the concept of no lead inside the wet suit or bc pockets?

I have seen dry suit divers use a suspender like harness with quick releases just below the collar bones like a BCD. The weight is the buckshot kind in a pouch style belt.

Also for experience with this you might want to contact Christine at www.liquidfit.com. When she fitted me for my wet suit, she was telling me stories about fitting entire sheriff's department rescue teams that sounded like perfect candidates for your bb-nh-nb disease.

:bunny: KC_Scubabunny :bunny:

Originally posted by KC_Scubabunny
I have seen dry suit divers use a suspender like harness with quick releases just below the collar bones like a BCD. The weight is the buckshot kind in a pouch style belt.

:bunny: KC_Scubabunny :bunny:

Suspender like harness........... Like the DUI weight and trim system.

Perfect for those with bb nh nb.

My LDS has a few in his rental line.

I think you were describing me......lol furtunately i have hips so i don't have that problem i just remember to make my belt extremely uncomfortable on the surface then i know it will be tight enough on the bottom. i also dive with a guy who is lager than me and he wears a weight belt with shoulder straps that have quick release buckles.

bb's-nh's-nb's, I have to echo the problems. In order for me to walk to the edge of a spring with a weight belt ON I have to use BOTH hands to hold it up. Merely tightening the belt will not work now that I am working out and my bulbous belly is now hard. I have caught my belt twice with only a toe... way too close for me. That is why WI BCs are the only way for me. They should have done that from the very first pool session too! And yes, I need a crotch strap to keep my BC from going the other way too!

It is embarrassing enough to have to waddle without having to try and keep the belt up as well. That being said, I have missed very few days at the gym, in hopes (possibly vain) that I may lose some of my "BB"... Did I mention how much I hate crunches???

Now I understand the origin of the weight integrated BC! When we started diving, I remember my sweetie having a fit with my "loose" weight belt. I had to fight him off underwater ( a la Seahunt) when he tried to "help" me by adjusting it -- I mistook this gesture of concern for attempted murder. As if it would seriously go anywhere over my hips, I pointed out. He really did mean well, poor guy!

Back
Top Bottom