The prices on safety sausages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theduckguru

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I realize this stuff is a hobby, I realize scuba divers aren't the smartest bunch - they love to pay way more than things should cost and brag about it, and I realize people have to make a profit, but $25 - $100 for safety item that borders on a swimming pool toy?

A good smb is a bit more than a toy. If you get a cheap toy version, well... you get what you pay for.

Look for additional features like durable cordura, over-pressure relief valves, inflation options, etc. One of the most popular ones is the DAN kit. It's a very good smb, and it comes with a few other useful goodies.

I realize this stuff is a hobby, I realize scuba divers aren't the smartest bunch - they love to pay way more than things should cost and brag about it, and I realize people have to make a profit, but $25 - $100 for safety item that borders on a swimming pool toy?
Look at it this way, you've identified a great marketing opportunity.

Cf. "signal marker buoy" (SMB) and "safety sausage"

One is launched at depth and the other is inflated at the surface.

A "real" SMB requires an OPV and / or some strong stitching to prevent the SMB from exploding upon ascent.

As others have said - you get what you pay for. A good "safety sausage" is not a toy, and is certainly made to be durable.

Buy "DAN" - it works as a lift bag as well, and does contain other useful items, and if you have not yet, join the Divers Alert Network.

Cf. "signal marker buoy" (SMB) and "safety sausage"

One is launched at depth and the other is inflated at the surface.

A "real" SMB requires an OPV and / or some strong stitching to prevent the SMB from exploding upon ascent.

The DAN one works as both, and it works/rated as a lift bag as well. As I said before, join DAN, and buy this SMB.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom