The Pasley "Hurry Home" December '06 Dive Report Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Top reason Pasley should hurry home: because the dive goddesses are wearing out all their buddies and we need new ones

Time: 6:34am descent
Temp: 60 average
Vis: 40 feet epic conditions to be had this morning
Max Depth: 82 feet
Bottom Time: 67 mins
Buddies: Dive Goddess Jen

After the incredible dives we had yesterday, both in the morning and at night, we decided to do another today. Terry was supposed to join us but work got in the way. I will gloat here about the epic conditions and dive that he missed.

Once again we had little toe slappers slamming against our rock boots as we entered the surf zone, very glassy surface, no winds, a slight northerly current on the swim out. The agreed upon site was to be the Gardens. We dropped in about 30 feet of water and headed west.

So there we were, a little air in the BC a little air in the drysuit, take a heading, a couple of fin kicks and Baby Giant Sea Bass right there, right off the bat. Too Friggin cute for words, smaller than the one we saw last night. How does it get any better than seeing these guys 2 dives in a row. Multiple photos from every angle were taken and I would have floated there forever watching Jen take this little guys picture.

We continued in a westerly direction, I soon figured we were too far north to hit the Gardens as we were not getting any deeper than 40-50 feet, so we turned south in order to hit the North Wall, which works out perfect since we missed it last night. Didn't take but another couple fins kicks and we floated over the top of the beginning of the North Wall and turned west to follow. Tons of Brittle Stars, some Baby Ocean Whitefish, Baby Blacksmith, lots of Rockfish, Sheepshead, Blue Banded Gobies, some monster size Lobster, Porostomes, and 1 what we both think is a Cockerells Dorid. That would be a first for me. We made it the length of the Wall before needing to turn back, went up the slope to about 55-60 feet to follow back, found a One Spot Fringehead, a Blenny, a couple of Pipefish, Kelp Crabs, and the best find a very large 5 ft long Angel Shark. It was mostly covered in sand but the outline just looked huge. The vis during the entire swim back had to be 40+ feet, it was just astounding.

I think the conditions warrant another dive tonight!! Here is the link to Jen's photos
http://www.scubapost.net/forums/DemersalDoll/LaJollaShores/2006_12_06_morning/

Time: 6:36pm descent
Temp: 60 average and it did feel warmer than this morning
Vis: 25+ as far as the light cannon would shine
Max Depth: 87 feet
Bottom Time: 60 mins
Buddies: Jen and our long lost buddy Tyler

So after a 10hour 53min SI we decided that the conditions being what they are deserved another dive today. We promised Tyler all sorts of Goddess type delights if he would join us. Letting our long lost buddy choose the dive site the Way North Wall was the destination.

The surf has actually reached knee height, but we did manage to wade through without incident, a little wind created a small chop in some spots. After a lenthy swim out, we descended in 30feet of water and headed West.

Now our navigator had warned us he doesn't use a compass so if we got lost it wasn't his fault, I think he was just being modest as this boy can navigate. We were at the North Wall in 6 mins and made a turn North. I've never seen anyone who without a compass can navigate dead on a heading without veering the least. I watched my compass the entire 5 min swim over the peninsula and he never waivered, that is impressive!!

As we slid over the edge of the Way North Wall we were greeted with a rope laying down the slope and wall into the abyss just covered in Strawberry Anenomes, lots of Brittle Stars, some very large Blacksmith, Coonstripe Shrimp, another Cockerells Dorid, Porostomes, Rockfish including a beautiful Vermillion which had not settled to bed for the night. Just one more first I must tell you, so I see this light flashing, come hither, it's Tyler looking into a hole at the bottom of the wall, I thought maybe he found some long lost artifact, it was a beautiful Juvenile Blacksmith with blues, yellows and tint of red. Now this is amazing to me because anyone who knows our Tyler also knows he's not into the sea life. I'm honored he shared with me.

We hit our turnaround and just a skillfully as before headed directly south back over the peninsula. As we arrived at the North Wall there was a very large Sheephead back in a crevice, he kept nipping at something when poof this big lobster comes backing out of the wall at me. I guess he had taken someones bed for the night. The rest of the swim in was pretty uneventful except for the Tonguefish we found on top of the kelp debris, no chance for him to bury in the sand.

I will see if I can link Jen's photos later.

Kim

Top reason Pasley should hurry home: The Iraq study group says diving is much safer.

Time: 7:30 AM descent
Temp: 60 the whole time
Vis: 40 feet in some places
Max Depth: 47 feet
Bottom Time: 83 mins
Buddies: Josh, Rick, Milo, Chris

OK - it doesn't get much better than this. Left the house at 4:30 AM- no traffic and got to Shaws at 6 (due at 6:30). Milo was there too. Rick diving doubles and BP/W for the first time so we're going to play it pretty cool. 6 inch waves and great viz in the surf zone. Out we kick and down we drop. Everything pretty sedate - even Josh pulling an OOA under the arch. Swim, swim, swim. Could see halfway to Catalina. Swim swim. Milo thumbed the dive in 5 feet of water and I still had 800 in the can. Could of gone 95 minutes. Maybe next time. Great dive.

Jim

LAJim:
Top reason Pasley should hurry home: The Iraq study group says diving is much safer.

Time: 7:30 AM descent
Temp: 60 the whole time
Vis: 40 feet in some places
Max Depth: 47 feet
Bottom Time: 83 mins
Buddies: Josh, Rick, Milo, Chris

OK - it doesn't get much better than this. Left the house at 4:30 AM- no traffic and got to Shaws at 6 (due at 6:30). Milo was there too. Rick diving doubles and BP/W for the first time so we're going to play it pretty cool. 6 inch waves and great viz in the surf zone. Out we kick and down we drop. Everything pretty sedate - even Josh pulling an OOA under the arch. Swim, swim, swim. Could see halfway to Catalina. Swim swim. Milo thumbed the dive in 5 feet of water and I still had 800 in the can. Could of gone 95 minutes. Maybe next time. Great dive.

Jim

That's awesome! I was hoping to get some of these great conditions this weekend, but it looks like death itself is going to roll through:

all_palosvanim_20061207.gif

all_orangeanim_20061207.gif

miket:
aphelion - where do you get that report from. Very cool.

- MikeT

From Surfline.com. Yeah, the site's oriented towards surfers, and yeah, you have to pay $9.95/month, but the thing saves me significantly more than that per month in headaches, drive time, and gas. I live about right in the middle between Palos Verdes and south Orange County, so it's been invaluable in telling me which way to drive for a better shot at diving. I surf also, so it's really helpful in the same way there.

It's not the end all in tools, but the site really is pretty darn cheap for what they offer.

Here's a link to a free demo. You'll start out with a global view of swell activity. You can then click any of the links to the right or bottom of the map. In our case, click the link under the map for "Southern CA". On the next page, click the link under the map for "Local". You'll now be in the SoCal local view, and can click on any of the locations in the middle of the maps to see the local info for that site.

Ok. Threadjack over. I guess this relates to future dive reports, so maybe it's not a threadjack. Yeah...that's the ticket.

Date: 12/7/06
Time: 5:40 pm
Temp: 78 deg
Vis: 203 ft (length of aquarium)
Max Depth: 27 ft
Bottom Time: 40 min

Greetings from Disneyworld in Florida. I'm here with my family on vacation, and took the opportunity to check out DiveQuest at the Epcot Center. For those unfamiliar, the basic scoop is this: Disney lets certified divers (with advance reservations) dive in the Living Seas aquarium for 40 minutes to swim with the critters and interact with the public watching through the observation windows. Two groups up to 12 max each weekday, three groups on weekends. They provide everything. Only outside equipment allowed is a mask and dive watch (no computers). Proceeds go to Disney Wildlife.

I read good things about this on Scubaboard, and at least partly knew what to expect based on the posts. Having now done it, my own take is that it's definitely worth doing if you get the chance.

Started out by meeting my fellow divers at Guest Relations just outside the park, where they took roll call, checked c-cards, and jotted down some size info. Everyone was friendly and chatted a bit. There were seven of us total, ranging from relatively new to 1500+ dives. Two west coasters - me and a guy from Washington. Another from Arizona, and the rest from various parts of the east coast. All nice folks.

We headed through a Cast Member (i.e. Disney workerbot) entrance right behind the Living Seas facility, where we gazed upon the massive filtration system. Talk about industrial strength – it filters the entire tank (about 6 million gallons) in three hours.

From there we got a brief behind-the-scenes tour of the facility, which is pretty cool. Got to see a couple of dolphins up close. Also learned a bit about what Disney Wildlife has going on in various parts of the world. We then headed to a nice, comfortable briefing room for a… well, briefing, to sign the obligatory waiver (freeing Disney of anything I ever do in my lifetime), and watch an 8-minute video detailing what DiveQuest is all about. After a little Q&A, it was on to the locker room where we each had a bag with our suits (2.5 mil shorty) and booties waiting for us. We all suited up and were led (paraded) through the middle of the exhibit in front of curious onlookers. For those few moments, I really wish I had stuck to that diet.

We made our way up an access stairway to the top of the tank, where there was a grated platform lined with rigs, fins, and masks ready to go (didn’t need a mask being I brought my own). After a meet and greet with the main divemaster and two additional DM’s, we geared up on a waist-deep submerged platform, then surface swam to a bouy in the middle of the tank, where we dropped as a group.

I could tell right away they want to make sure no one has trouble submerging because I started sinking like a rock with all the weight they packed in (the BC’s were weight integrated Scubapro jackets). I quickly got neutral before hitting the crushed shell bottom, and once everyone flashed the okay, we started following the DM. First stop was to a corner of the tank where there was a large green sea turtle resting on the bottom. I was at the back of the pack, so I could take a little time to check him out without anyone coming up behind me. Nice start to the dive.

As we moved away from the turtle and a nearby group of tropical fish, we casually swam by windows that lined the adjacent Coral Reef restaurant. It was pretty entertaining watching the reactions. Some were intrigued and excited to see actual scuba divers while others were caught off guard by the strange man in the water watching them eat their meat loaf. I was tempted to swim up, plant my face right up against the glass and just stare.

The DM next led us to a small diving bell, where each diver could pop their head inside, take off their mask and reg, and wave at the videographer following us around. After that our next stop was the wall of general observation windows, where several people had gathered to watch including family members of the divers. I swam up to my wife and 5-year-old son. One of the coolest things about this whole experience was seeing the excitement on my son’s face as I swapped hand signals with him. An extra kicker was noticing how the kids around him could see he was getting special attention.

At this point, everyone was free to roam on their own. I spent some time working my way along the windows interacting with various kids. I loved watching their reactions, especially the younger ones who clearly thought it was the greatest thing to watch scuba divers up close and personal.

I started roaming the tank and quickly came across two goliath groupers on the bottom. They were both about four feet long, and reminded me of giant sea bass. Not so much in look but their size and calm, unassuming nature. I slowly hovered around them, getting a nice, close look. Then, as I ventured away, I came across what I was most looking forward to seeing – two 8-foot sharks (Tigers, if I remember correctly). I hovered above them, loosely following their swimming pattern. I watched for a long time. Amazing.

I spent the remainder of the dive soaking in all the life around me. The sharks (including some smaller ones in addition to the 8-footers), eagle rays, the sea turtles, groupers, and lots of tropical fish. All in crystal clear, warm water with no currents to deal with.

We surfaced after 40 minutes, and everyone shared the same two thoughts. One - that wasn’t long enough, and two – what a great experience. We doffed our gear, paraded back through the public and into the locker room (complete with hot showers). Our last stop was the briefing room to collect a certificate and t-shirt, and to watch the video. Yes, it’s Disney at it’s finest. They shoot video the first 20 minutes of the dive, then edit segments into a DiveQuest video “template” they use, and burn DVD’s so they’re ready by the time you’re back in the room. Sure, it’s a little cheesy and costs an extra 35 bucks, but it’s worth having at that point.

This report turned out a lot longer than I was planning, so thanks for reading if you’ve gotten this far. It was a fun experience, and I recommend it if you get the chance. Definitely worthwhile.

Date: 12/7
Dive Location: Veteran's Park, Redondo Beach
Buddy(ies): James, Jerry
Time: 9:00pm
Bottom Time: 38 minutes
Max Depth: 91 feet
Vis: 20-30 feet
Wave height: barly any except for an ocassional knee high
Temp at depth: Not too bad, didn't look at the Sunnto, maybe 55-56f in the canyon
Surface Temp: 60f

Beautiful conditions at Redondo last night. Great Vis and lots of critters.

Surf.... what surf? Buddies and I geared up, down the stairs across the sand and waded into the cool water. We surface swam pretty far directly out from the stairs and decended to 50-60 feet at the edge of the canyon. We then proceded down the slope to about 90 feet and then turned more toward the pier following the canyon at that depth, slowly going up the edge. I have only dove vets 5 times before this and the vis tonight was the best I have had so far.

Plus I got some great video footage of all kinds of things including.... small octopus, a thornback ray, a moon snail, and many looong and weird pink serpant (brittle?) stars. The normal scorpionfish were everywhere. I got some nice footage of three Sarcastic Fringeheads, and a few different species of crab, including some beautiful purple ones.

Fringehead1.jpg

Sarcastic Fringehead

Thornback1.jpg

Thornback Ray

SquidCase.jpg

Squid Eggs! - This was all we saw, no squid

BeautifulCrab.jpg

A nice purple legged crab, I have no idea what kind this is.

Here are more stills from the video. An edited video will be posted to Scubaboard sometime soon.
http://www.socaldivevideos.com/still_galleries/RedondoBeachNight12_07_06_web/index.htm

- Cheers,
MikeT

miket:
Beautiful conditions at Redondo last night. Great Vis and lots of critters.

Surf.... what surf? Buddies and I geared up, down the stairs across the sand and waded into the cool water. We surface swam pretty far directly out from the stairs and decended to 50-60 feet at the edge of the canyon. We then proceded down the slope to about 90 feet and then turned more toward the pier following the canyon at that depth, slowly going up the edge. I have only dove vets 5 times before this and the vis tonight was the best I have had so far.

'Chica and I were the ones who passed you on the way up the stairs - we were in doubles, and I was talking with you about the Electric Ray that we saw 104' that followed us around for 10 minutes, the baby GSB at 88', the field of baby Midshipman at 60, the baby (and very clear.. who knew) Giant Kelp Fish at 45', all of the D.Iris and Fakeyssinda between 28' - 24', etc. Glad you had a great dive.

Wish you saw all the other stuff we saw - but its a big, big ocean.

I can't believe I went last night without my camera. STUPID!!!!!!!! I've dived Vets a zillion times - and last night was in the top 10. Great viz, calm water, and so much to see. I could go on and on, but re-living the entire dive again with no pix would just make me sad.

Unreal dive last night.

We're planning on going back tonight.

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
'Chica and I were the ones who passed you on the way up the stairs - we were in doubles, and I was talking with you about the Electric Ray that we saw 104' that followed us around for 10 minutes, the baby GSB at 88', the field of baby Midshipman at 60, the baby (and very clear.. who knew) Giant Kelp Fish at 45', all of the D.Iris and Fakeyssinda between 28' - 24', etc. Glad you had a great dive.

Wish you saw all the other stuff we saw - but its a big, big ocean.

I can't believe I went last night without my camera. STUPID!!!!!!!! I've dived Vets a zillion times - and last night was in the top 10. Great viz, calm water, and so much to see. I could go on and on, but re-living the entire dive again with no pix would just make me sad.

Unreal dive last night.

We're planning on going back tonight.

---
Ken

Arrgghhh...I so want to dive today...

I better get on the phone and find a strong buddy!

L

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom