The "other" end of the DIR question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ooops,

did I kill this thread, have the DIR guys all gone on vacation or what?

I suspect this thread simply died of old age ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I don't need to. The type of diving I do, (Bug hunting, scallop gathering, spearfishing, photography, and sunken boats), does not call for it. Why lay out a lot of cash for something I don't currently need? If at some point in the future, I decide to take up serious wrecking or caving, I would certainly look at all my options. But for now...

TJ

PhotoTJ:
I don't need to. The type of diving I do, (Bug hunting, scallop gathering, spearfishing, photography, and sunken boats), does not call for it. Why lay out a lot of cash for something I don't currently need? If at some point in the future, I decide to take up serious wrecking or caving, I would certainly look at all my options. But for now...

TJ

Sounds bout like me.

Paul

cancun mark:
I'm doing it ......Right??
Hmmmmmm...good trim...and no dangles...But if that was a Mark...something is a bit wrong

Mark,
I'm appalled by the inappropriate photo you posted. Do you have the top half?

N

neil:
Mark,
I'm appalled by the inappropriate photo you posted. Do you have the top half?

N
Yeah, i want the top half also.

:eyebrow: paul

I am VERY NEW to diving. I say that because the only thing I can really compare what I "know" about DIR to is what I do. My chosen carrer dictates that I be safe. If I want to go home at the end of my Tour, Safety comes first in EVERYTHING! Before I decided to become certifed in diving, I did a lot of research. I talked to people and read what I could find on the various training agencies. I talked with "DIR" followers and those that are not. From what I know of DIR, I must say, there are things I agree with. SAFETY!!!! I believe in being safe. I know that to use the tools of my trade safely, I must PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. I some what relate DIR to a SWAT or SRT team (in a way). Being part of an SRT team, I know the importance of practicing with someone you work (dive) with. If I have to go into a house where someone has a gun, I would like to know how the man standing next to me is going to respond in a certain situation. That's why we train and train and train. From what I know of DIR they preach training and practicing of basics. I can find no fault with that. I must have drawn my duty weapon from my duty holster thousands of time. Why? you may ask. Because as my instructor in the Academy ALWAYS said, "You Play Like You Practice"! If the day ever comes (and I constantly pray it never does) that I have to use my duty weapon, I don't want to be thinking about unsnapping and drawing. I want to be thinking about the threat in front of me. The same with OOA emergencies. If my buddy ever does run out of air, I want to be able to react with out having to "think" about what to do.

HOWEVER, there are things I disagree with DIR about. I mentioned my duty weapon earlier. I, like a great deal of Police Officers, carry a Glock Model 22 in .40 S&W. Why do I carry this? Because I think Glock is the Best Gun in the world and the .40 is the best round? NO! because my department says I carry it. Like DIR mandating what equipment is used, my agency mandates what firearm I use. I would much rather use a Wilson Combat CQB chambered in .45ACP. Rightnow, I happen to like my Sea Quest BCD. Maybe in the future I'll move on to something else.

I believe in traing and learning always. In less then a month, I will be going to Firearms Instrcutor School. A little over a Month after that, I will hopefully be taking my Advanced Open Water class. As long as I am in Law Enforcement, I will keep going to classes and learning. As long as I am able to dive, I will do the same. Does that mean that if some one new to firearms wants to go to the firing range with me, I'm gonna ask if he's a memeber of a SWAT or Specialized Tactical team or has advanced Fire Arms training? NO!!! I will try and share my knowledge and possibly even learn from the other person. Does being PADI certified mean I won't dive with someone from SSI or NAUI? NO!!! If anyone EVER wants to go Diving (or shooting for that matter) with me, let me grab my gear and we'll go!!!

when was the last time anyone saw DIR, panty hose, and service revolvers in the same thread?

you know... it'd probably make one heck of a movie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom