The Octopus Conundrum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why not run a manifold that puts two isolated primaries, with one secondary each, on the same tank? Then if you free flow or blow an o-ring on one, you just switch to the other primary and secondary and shut off the offender.

Just curious, how many of you, as a solo diver, still tote an octopus/safe second on your main tank regulator? And why if so?

N

I do, mostly habit and laziness, it is a pain to change configuration each time I dive with a buddy.

I have a couple of vintage rigs that are in their original single second configuration, but I don't dive them much. When I do use them it is amazing how many divers think it is unsafe without two seconds, never mind the "old junk" factor. I ask if they learned to buddy breathe; and they tell me yeah, that's what the other second is for...

Bob
----------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

Why not run a manifold that puts two isolated primaries, with one secondary each, on the same tank? Then if you free flow or blow an o-ring on one, you just switch to the other primary and secondary and shut off the offender.

You mean an H or Y valve. How fast can you diagnose and isolate a single tank and do you have enough gas for that? Most people can't even reach their single tank valves but assuming you could, how do you tell which valve to shut down when the leak is behind your head?

I'm a bit like Nemrod. If I'm diving <50' solo I will forgo a second (usually my pony if deeper) but if there is a chance of other divers being present I have an octo. I may know how to BB but they may not and in the modern diving consciousness, all divers expect another diver to be able to donate.

all divers expect another diver to be able to donate.

In that situation - at least for me - I donate my primary and use my Air 2 or my Pony.
My son and I practice buddy breathing and not with an octopus - some skills don't go out of style. :)

Weight and complexity with no real benefit as this is not a robust redundant system. That is my take on H/Y valves long standing going back to my first encounter with them in the early 70s when a few people where using large capacity single tanks for certain cave diving.

N

I never use an octo. I figure if I need an octo then I really need an independent bailout or doubles with an isolation valve. My primary is necklaced for convenience (old school) and the secondary regulator is bungee&#8217;d to my harness.

Octo on a bungee under my chin.

Air2 as well and agree with previous posts, I do not want to change configurations when diving with a buddy.

Octo on a bungee under my chin.

Air2 as well and agree with previous posts, I do not want to change configurations when diving with a buddy.

What is your redundant system when solo diving? Admittedly, I do not use one above 60 feet (more or less). But assuming you do?

Like I said in my original post, I am considering an Air II or integrated inflator/octopus second for both buddy and solo. This for travel diving so I do not have to reconfigure or tote extra gear for rigging my favored set ups for solo or buddy.

N

No octo's here. Haven't used one in over 40 years.
except for that one time when I finally had to get legal and took a class
If I feel the need for redundancy, pony bottle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom