Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Yes I would join but am not interested in events

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No I would not join

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phoenix

Club Web Master
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
How many of you would be interested in taking our nice little group the the next level? and having regularly organised trips and meetings, I have had people express interest in this and some willing to travel from all over the country if things were organised properly and in advance

would anyone active here be interested in turning this into a more regular based club? with monthly meets at popular dive sites?

let me know what you think

If everyone could give the reasons for thier choice it may help us to answer some questions and some of the logistical requirements of such a diverse club :)

Thanks all

Happy to travel up to two hours by road from home - any more than that and im too tired to drive home after a dive
Sarahboo

Would be interested if events were vaguely near my home (ie a couple of hours drive). Would be prepared to travel further if there were longer trips (e.g. a few days or a week).

However I'm only a BSAC Ocean Diver at the moment - I guess I'd have to wait until I make Sports Diver.

Ok well here are the ideas I personaly had and things I would expect to see from a club
at present i'm not sure if we should give training or anything, i dont know if a) we would have any instructors and b) the HSE and legal requirements of such activities, so leaving those aside for now

monthly or bi-monthly trips, due to the distance factor these would likley be whole weekend / long weekend events anyway, to help more people be persuaded

new venues, not a weekend trip to stoney cove :)

if demand was high enough things like mini buses could be hired for the duration of the weekend to help people who dont want to drive long distances make the trip

free to join, open to all qualified divers who want to dive and have fun

any other ideas welcome
hope that helps clear up a few things

Firstly, welshdiver - if I am not too far off the mark, I think Phoenix's excellent suggestion is directed towards divers of your qualification and experience level as much as anyone. So, the short answer is, "No, you don't need to go away and become more experienced before you put yourself forward for trips with the UK Wreck Ferrets (for want of a much, much better name!). I am sure that we can provide divers who will be more than happy to help you build up your experience level.

Ryan, your 'bare bones' for a club ideal are very workable and, I for one, aim to support you fully. The 'constitution' seems to cover my every needs - free to join, open to all qualified divers and with an aim to having fun!

To that end, I suppose I should introduce myself a little more fully. I am a PADI MSDT/BSAC OWI and have been diving, in one form or another, since 1975 (ex-Navy Ships Diver/SAR Diver). I currently teach PADI courses and no, this is not a 'hard sell'!! I am happy to help out in the growth of MY club purely as a club member. I am an active member and trainer in a club in Hull and we have some great trips and events through the year.

To get the ball rolling, would any prospective members be up for a trip to the Farnes in October? If so, I will arrange.

Come on you Ferrets, lets start putting some great trip reports together for Scuba Board.

Dive safely.

yes, I'm interested. And would be happy to dive with you welshdiver, if BSAC won't excommunicate you for diving with someone else :D (two separate log books, perhaps?)

But first I need to sort out a dry suit... which will need to be made to measure, seeing as I'm hobbit sized. Still doing the research as to what I want, so don't know when I'll be kitted up. So I'd love to come to the Farnes, but I can't commit to it yet.

clootie once bubbled...
And would be happy to dive with you welshdiver, if BSAC won't excommunicate you for diving with someone else :D (two separate log books, perhaps?)

Thanks to Kev and to Clootie for their support! The reason I made my comment above is that I was under the impression that I wasn't allowed to dive "independently" until I made Sports Diver.

Having enquired at my club, Ocean Divers apparently can do this, but only with the express permission of the club's Diving Officer. Something to do with insurance reasons?! I'm not too sure myself, so if any BSAC-types can shed light on this issue I'd be grateful!!

LOL at the comment about being excommunicated from BSAC! :)

PS Where is Farnes? (excuse my ignorance)

Hello all,

Still in a nice and warm place for another tenday or so.

Ryan: Good luck! Would be up for almost anything, constraints being money. health and transport. Re: Stoney Cove - £75/night hotels are out :wink:

Kev: Farnes sounds good, more details please! Scared of, and cannot use the 'c' word at this time.

Next trip will be Portland 20/21 Sept. Anyone around then?

Sish.
===

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom