The New Scubapro FS-2 Compass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

judestudio

Contributor
Reaction score
Is there anyone that has started using the new Scubapro FS-2 compass? It's spec looks as good as the Suunto SK-7 with a +/- 35 degree tilt AND better yet, it's not calibrated to any zone and so can be used globally! This is a big plus for people that do a bit of travelling!!

Any reviews / feedbacks welcome!

Cheers in advance.

I'm bumping this thread as I have the same questions about the FS-2 compass.

Two features I'd like to see on a wrist compass are: movable lubber line so I don't have to bend my elbow to 90 degrees, and a battery powered backlight for night diving.

The FS2 works well the high angle of tilt helps eliminate the balancing issue of most compasses. All compasses are balanced and here is why.

For a compass to work properly, the compass needle must be free to rotate and align with the magnetic field. The difference between compasses designed to work in the northern and southern hemispheres is simply the location of the "balance", a weight placed on the needle to ensure it remains in a horizontal plane and hence free to rotate. In the northern hemisphere, the magnetic field dips down into the Earth so the compass needle has a weight on the south end of the needle to keep the needle in the horizontal plane. In the southern hemisphere, the weight needs to be on the north end of the needle. If you did not change the weight, the needle would not rotate freely, and hence would not work properly

I think Either one should work on your travels.

---------- Post added January 22nd, 2014 at 04:30 PM ----------

Two features I'd like to see on a wrist compass are: movable lubber line so I don't have to bend my elbow to 90 degrees, and a battery powered backlight for night diving.

Several compass have a clear body inside the housing. I have taken the bezel off and turned the inside to realign the lubber line on a few. Never worried about a battery powered back light but I do now there is at least one on the market NaveELite makes it. Not sure you can turn the lubber line on it.

I wear mine on top of my right hand, as I dive in the parachute position with hands held I find it's a more natural position I can see my computer and compass without having to readjust anything. For me much easier than the contortion required when trying to read off left wrist.

I can post pics if anyone is interested or is having a hard time imagining set up/rigging.

I received my new Scubapro FS-2 yesterday in a factory wrist boot. I won't be able to dive it for a few weeks but the tilt angle is very impressive. I have a DSS wrist mount on order and will transfer the compass module to that when it arrives. I'll post height measurement in the DSS boot for those who want to compare it to a SK7.

Two features I'd like to see ... and a battery powered backlight for night diving.

Have you ever pressed your main light against a glow in the dark compass and then removed it? It's amazing how it glows and for how long.

Have you ever pressed your main light against a glow in the dark compass and then removed it? It's amazing how it glows and for how long.

Yes that's what I do now. I press my focus light onto the compass on my left wrist. But the glow is not that bright and then it has to be recharged a few minutes later.

I received my new Scubapro FS-2 yesterday in a factory wrist boot. I won't be able to dive it for a few weeks but the tilt angle is very impressive. I have a DSS wrist mount on order and will transfer the compass module to that when it arrives. I'll post height measurement in the DSS boot for those who want to compare it to a SK7.

How do you like it compared to the SK-7? I liked the SK-7...for as long as it worked. Two of them leaked on me. second one didn't even make it a year. I am fed up with giving Suunto big bucks for them. Time to look at something else. The FS-2 makes me a little nervous because the one at the local scuba shop went bad on display! They sent it back for replacement but they haven't let me know if the replacement arrived yet. Want to see it work before committing to it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom