The new Freedom Contour - The Rolex of backplates.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As per information in this thread, it was not designed for doubles. The answers to your questions are in this thread. It's a nice looking plate, is more comfortable to wear, as has been reported by users, it supports a fellow diver and did I mention it looks cool. I would be using one for travel diving, I currently use an AL plate so this plate would actually allow me to lose some lead. I don't need one and it solves no issue I'm having I just want one. The same reason I bought a new computer or a new light my old ones worked fine I just wanted a newer shinier toy. Maybe I have more money that sense lol...I guess on part it depends on what drives the individuals purchasing processes, needs vs wants. Most of the dive gear I have I didn't necessarily need but I enjoyed buying nonetheless.

As per information in this thread, it was not designed for doubles. The answers to your questions are in this thread. It's a nice looking plate, is more comfortable to wear, as has been reported by users, it supports a fellow diver and did I mention it looks cool. I would be using one for travel diving, I currently use an AL plate so this plate would actually allow me to lose some lead. I don't need one and it solves no issue I'm having I just want one. The same reason I bought a new computer or a new light my old ones worked fine I just wanted a newer shinier toy. Maybe I have more money that sense lol...I guess on part it depends on what drives the individuals purchasing processes, needs vs wants. Most of the dive gear I have I didn't necessarily need but I enjoyed buying nonetheless.

Part of the point of the system is its modularity. A BP/W can be single or double tank by the removal and replacement of a couple of wingnuts and allow you freedom to move between configurations with a single harness that does not require reconfiguration. It also assigns functional weight to the kit and removes unnecessary excess lead from the diver. I have read the thread and none of those are addressed, I guess I just don't see what problem this product solves.

I feel like I'm missing something. a 4lb plate that requires you to carry extra lead and doesn't easily accommodate doubles? What's the point?

I needed extra weight due to the dry suit. Any steel plate would still require me to do that with single tanks. I didn't need a plate that would do doubles. Have two for that already. Steel and aluminum. I just like the design and feel of it. In addition I wanted one that would allow me to dive with NO wing, be comfortable, and still hold the tank secure. I see using this with al 80's, a 5 mil, and no wing for retro style diving.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Cheers for the reply. If you are a singal tank diver only, the target market (?), I guess the lack of modularity is not important. I could be wrong but I'm not sure it's been tauted as a solution to any particular problem. But I hear what you're saying. It's not going to appeal to everyone.

I feel like I'm missing something. a 4lb plate that requires you to carry extra lead and doesn't easily accommodate doubles? What's the point?
The point is total and complete comfort for single tank divers way above and beyond what a one of those rectangular flat conventional plates can offer, and providing all the benefits of a simple Hog harness. The plate is designed for people who have no interest in diving doubles and at 3 or 4 lbs (depending on which plate is selected) it is still way better than using a conventional jacket or back inflate that have no inherent ballast weight and in many cases require weight just to offset their own buoyancy.
Those other plates are 5 or 6 lbs so making up a lb or two on the belt or a couple weights on a camband is no big deal.
95% of people who buy BP/W systems use them for single tank diving.
The plate also allows the tank to sit very close in to your body with the cut away design which those other plates simply can't do.

I am currently working on a cast ballast weight that will drop in between the rails to give another 2 - 3 lbs.
If anybody needs extra ballast weight it's me, I sometimes use a 1/2" commercial two piece beaver tail wetsuit when the water goes down below 46 and somehow I make a 4 lb plate work - don't ask me how I do it, I scratch my head and wonder myself sometimes.

Where on earth are you getting this number from? I assume you're including those who use a BP/W for both single and twinset diving (in which case, I'd agree). Are you asserting that 95% of BP/W divers don't dive twinsets?
Based on my research and talking with other manufacturers and dealers, yes, I'm saying that approximately 95% of BP/W systems sold never see doubles, even though some of those units were bought with the eventual intention of diving doubles someday, most never do.

Where on earth are you getting this number from? I assume you're including those who use a BP/W for both single and twinset diving (in which case, I'd agree). Are you asserting that 95% of BP/W divers don't dive twinsets?

I remember Tobin from DSS mentioning in a post that he sells more single-tank systems than double-tank systems. That is why he optimized his plate for singles however he still retained the doubles capacity. This is not the only thread regarding the Freedom Plate there are other threads and some give user feedback. I have never read a negative comment about the plate.

Also there are numerous posts where people that dive both singles and doubles said they have multiple plates. As a rebreather diver you know better than most that another plate is cheap compared to the cost of the other equipment and training when moving from singles to doubles. If I was transitioning to doubles, I would probably go sidemount anyway which would require a separate rig.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom