The New Dive Rite Optima CM - My 30 Hour Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With discussion elsewhere on lead needs for light CCRs, how much lead is needed to make this neutral?

DiveRite lists the weight as 14 lb w/o O2 cylinder or sorb. What is the typical ready to dive weight (ignoring the dil/bailout BC and harness)? So what lead is needed with some O2 cylinder to make the CM unit neutral?

That is one of the issues for cave diving, but makes it fantastic for warm water and travel and boats.

if I’m cave diving the unit, I cannot use my lp50’s for bailout. I have to use the LP85’s or I am floaty as hell. I refuse to add lead.

I think I weighed my unit fully rigged unit with bcd/sorb/full oxygen at like 22lbs . It’s quite a bit lighter than my kiss sidewinder. It’s friggin fantastic in my plane.

It’s friggin fantastic in my plane.
One of the reasons we chose to go with a back-mount O2ptima was the ability to later convert to a CM for travel. Dive Rite quoted around $2k.
To me anyway it adds a lot of value and versatility, kinda of like having two breathers.

One of the reasons we chose to go with a back-mount O2ptima was the ability to later convert to a CM for travel. Dive Rite quoted around $2k.
To me anyway it adds a lot of value and versatility, kinda of like having two breathers.

Super versatile

The optima can be converted between Backmount and chest mount configuration?

sounds interesting. which version needs to be purchased and what does the conversion process involve and how long did it take?

I believe the older units need to be converted. The new style BOV units can easily be interchanged, I know of at least one person at Dive Rite who routinely goes back and forth between BM and CM with the same core rebreather. This feature was one of the reasons I went with the O2ptima, great value and almost like two breathers for the cost of one. I think the CM style is the future when traveling.

POD DIVER RADIO 2021:
The OPTIMA CM: Chest Mounted CCR (audio podcast)

Interview w/ Lamar Hires of Dive Rite about the development and applications of Dive Rite's new chest mounted CCR Download the episode here and feel free to share with any dive buddies interested in CCRs.

Direct Download of Podcast here: http://traffic.libsyn.com/poddiver/PD211.mp3

I'm working up a bit of a shortlist for a first rebreather in 1-2 years and the Choptima looks like a really nice unit.

Newbie question incoming - I don't see a ton written about rb maintenance all that often. One thing that stands out to me is the Dive Rite rb manuals state an annual "not user permitted" service whereas other rb's have a 3-5 year overhaul service period (with I assume some minor servicing in between).

What's the deal with Optima servicing? Is it really a dealer only service or is Dive Rite publishing CYA guidelines for liability? Can parts and or service manuals be attained so that someone qualified (but not a Dive Rite dealer) can service this equipment?

Not trying to cut corners or pinch pennies here - just thinking about repairs and maintenance when abroad, on a liveaboard, or for folks that are inclined to maintain their own gear whenever feasible.

I believe the older units need to be converted. The new style BOV units can easily be interchanged, I know of at least one person at Dive Rite who routinely goes back and forth between BM and CM with the same core rebreather. This feature was one of the reasons I went with the O2ptima, great value and almost like two breathers for the cost of one. I think the CM style is the future when traveling.

This is interesting and would definitely make me more likely to buy an optima.

Does dive rite sell a conversion kit to go from a BM to a CM, at what cost?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom