The new crop of DSLRs...AAAARRGH!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

about the only one I'm not impressed with is the original XT and D40 ... The D40 because of the motors built into the lens.

Do you mean to say that the D40 is a problem because it can ONLY use lenses with their own motors, or is your problem with the entire idea of motors in lenses? I can understand the former, you may want to use older lenses with AF.

But the top newer lenses from Canon and Nikon have motors built in, and they work much faster than lenses that rely on a motor in the camera body. I think you can only get touch-override A/M focussing with the built in motors too.

Larry,
:D I'm very happy for you. A D300 will serve you well into the future. I'm looking forward to those January topside pics. I'm sure one day I'll get the honor of diving with you in CA with your D300 and while I'm laughing at your "Stan Waterman" sized housing, you can laugh at my oversized P&S :rofl3:

Watch out! Seatool has a D300 housing in the works. It'll probably take me till June to figure out all the buttons and features on the darn thing to get any decent pics, although the local Wolf's where my beloved:ezpi_hear is picking it up gives free lessons with purchase. (All this is speculation of course, because it's a Xmas surprise!):eyebrow:

Do you mean to say that the D40 is a problem because it can ONLY use lenses with their own motors, or is your problem with the entire idea of motors in lenses? I can understand the former, you may want to use older lenses with AF.

But the top newer lenses from Canon and Nikon have motors built in, and they work much faster than lenses that rely on a motor in the camera body. I think you can only get touch-override A/M focussing with the built in motors too.

I believe because the lenses are specific to the D40. So what do you do when you upgrade a few years later? The D80 isn't that much more and would be a better purchase. When I was comparing cameras this came up as a problem so I immediately skipped onto the D80 for my comparison.
On the second part of your question, I have no idea with digital but with film motors built into the body didn't really slow the camera down, or take away your ability to focus manually. They also held the cost of the lenses down.

I believe because the lenses are specific to the D40.

Oh, HECK no!!! You can use a D40-compatible lens on any other Nikon camera, though you should probably only use them on bodies with the same crop factor.

The d40 does not have a motor in the body, so it can only use "new fancy style" AF-S lenses, which have it built in. All current and future Nikon bodies can use AF-S lenses. Non AF-S lenses can be used on the D40, but only with manual focus.

(Actually AF-S isn't the "new fancy style" since they started making them in 1992.)

IMHO there are 2 big primary to avoid the D40.

1. You want to use older lenses with autofocus.
2. You want more features, eg, exposure bracketing and more buttons

The D80 is a better purchase for many people, just not for the reason you listed. :)

Here is more info on Nikon lens compatibility.

Nikon Lens Compatibility

On the second part of your question, I have no idea with digital but with film motors built into the body didn't really slow the camera down, or take away your ability to focus manually. They also held the cost of the lenses down.

Oh, I forgot to add--I am pretty sure, at least for Nikon, lenses with their own motors are regarded as snappier than those without.

And as to the focus issue, I was referring to the ability to override autofocus instantly just by moving the focus ring, and not needing to poke the A/M mode button. Minor point though.

Done deal! The boxes are under the tree. Can't play till Xmas day.:D:no
Can't wait to charge'r up and start finding stuff to take pictures of. BTW, it's a surprise, I don't know about it yet:rofl3:

Can't wait to charge'r up and start finding stuff to take pictures of. BTW, it's a surprise, I don't know about it yet:rofl3:
you know you need to charge'r up before x'mas, right Larry? C'mon, a little peek and a sample pic won't hurt you:)

ps- congrats, Larry. Excellent purchase.

Congratulations! You're going to have a blast!

excuse: you have to check if it's working...a few shots will do :eyebrow:

you know you need to charge'r up before x'mas, right Larry? C'mon, a little peek and a sample pic won't hurt you:)

ps- congrats, Larry. Excellent purchase.

A razor knife, black hoodie, ski mask and some scotch tape are all the tools you need to get into all kinds of trouble. I can see the wife now..."Larry...why is your Christmas package plugged into the wall" :no Its official...I have camera envy. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom