The new crop of DSLRs...AAAARRGH!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMHO, high ISO is great everywhere.

I've never been a *High ISO* man with the exception of TMAX 3200, but that was back in the day. But way cool grain, and great for concerts, artsy stills, or even some landscapes. I've also seen some very cool images out of UW SLR's using TMAX.

My goal is generally to shoot at as low as ISO as possible. I find digital grain... NOISE... not very acceptable. This does depend a lot on what you do with the final image. ISO 800 is fine for 8x10's or web. If you print a shot large, even ISO 400 has very noticeable noise. If anyone doubts this, take a look at DPReview. Phil does a very nice job of showing 100% crops side by side from low to high. Even one stop beyond the lowest ISO is noticeable no matter what DSLR one is using.

In a PnS, generally shooting anything but the lowest ISO results in noticeable noise. This is why a larger sensor is SOO much better.

I went to Wolf's and fondled the D300 with a 60 f1.2 and a 18-200f3.5/5.6. Ooh baby, I think I'm in love. Don't think the wife's going to bite on $2539 w/18-200 lens, though. Her first words were, "but then you'll need a $4000 housing, won't you?" "Not till next year" said I. We'll just see what's under the tree.

Next year is but 50 odd days away...

z...

If I wanted the BEST resolution, and price was no option, well gotta go with the Canon 1DS Mark III. That is not a very practical solution for a LOT of photographers, but hey, Full frame 21mpix, what is not to like.

I had a chance to fondle a 1Ds MkIII last weekend at the local Canon Exp show... That is one sweet camera... Security had to drag me away...:D

How come the new 40d hasn't been brought up yet? $1500 with a 28-135mm IS USM lens, not a bad deal. The lens isn't designed the APS sized sensor, so it could be a bit wider. But the 40D feels great in your hand since it has a magnesium body. Plus it has a sensor cleaning systme to minimize dust, the new DigicIII processor, and is lower noise at higher ISOs than the D80 or D200 (according to dpreview.com)(we'll see about the D300).

Jerald, true the 40D is a nice body (I own one :D). But initial hands-on previews seem to suggest Nikon may have the upper hand in this round of upgrades with their D300. But for the price, the 40D is a steal. Although I do wish Canon had put a higher resolution LCD on the 40D and some form of contrast AF on their liveview implementation.

Yeah, the new LCD on the D300 is very nice. This image quality is incredible. From what I've been able to gather (and I'm slightly biased towards Canon) the Rebel Xti = D40x < D80 < 40D < D300.

Of course, Canon still sells the 30D new and it's still a fine camera.

Xmas is looking better and better. I think I've worn her down! A new D300/18-200VR could be appearing under the tree.:dancingsnoopy:

If I had to settle, I'd probably go for the XT-i with the two lens kit, which can be had for about $899 ...

Xmas is looking better and better. I think I've worn her down! A new D300/18-200VR could be appearing under the tree.:dancingsnoopy:

Perhaps I could have you talk to my wife as well.:D The D80 is probably as much as she'll let me spend, which mean I could maybe sneak by with a 40D. I'm looking forward to your review of the D300 in the new year.

And just a fyi for those of you in the market for a dslr, PMA '08 is in 59 days and Canon is rumored to be announcing the successor to the Xti. If you can wait, prices on the Xti might be coming down.

PMA 08 - The leading annual photo trade show and convention

Xmas is looking better and better. I think I've worn her down! A new D300/18-200VR could be appearing under the tree

That's FABULOUS news, Larry! That's one sweet camera!

And just a fyi for those of you in the market for a dslr, PMA '08 is in 59 days and Canon is rumored to be announcing the successor to the Xti. If you can wait, prices on the Xti might be coming down.

Prices are already starting to come down - they're down about $50 in the past 6 weeks from what I've seen. Just remember, it may take a few months from announcement to release, and a few more months after that to housing releases. The cycle never ends...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom