The New Atomic TFX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barring questions, here's my last post on this incredible regulator (unless I can find an ANSTI loop):

I promised you a bit more data on the other side of the balancing question.
Theoretically, a perfectly balanced valve will never open, no matter how high the IP.
With all my infatuation over the balance of this valve, what did Atomic Aquatics engineer into it?
Here is a cracking effort spread for a TFX tuned within specification.

Decreasing IP (as previously commented upon):
IP / Cracking effort
135psi / 1.2"WC
120 / 1.5"
90 / 1.7"
60 / 2.1"
40 / 2.1"
20 / 2.2"
10 / 2.2"
0 psi / Infinite (valve would not open)
I was so surprised at the plateau, I repeated the test multiple times.
I think we're looking at the baseline force of the mechanical spring against our suck, made easier by the huge mechanical advantage of that lever.

Increasing IP (what happens when your first stage starts to fail?)
135psi / 1.2"WC
160 / 1.1"
190 / 0.9" to crack, but the valve would not then close, and it would gently freeflow
235psi ---> spontaneous gentle freeflow

So...despite the incredible balance in one direction, AA has engineered in an earlier safety popoff than I would have expected for this degree of balance.
One word: incredible!

Cheers, folks! It's been fun.

Very good.
It's the best of both worlds:
1) a balanced reg that maintains easy cracking effort over wild swings in IP (think  dynamic IP swings due to friction, clogged filter or near-empty tank). That means it stays easy to breath when you most need it.
2) a reg that still pops off as a safety valve with only a modest indication of IP creep/first stage failure.

Does anyone know where I can get a second stage only TFX? I would use it with my ST1 first stage

Does anyone know where I can get a second stage only TFX? I would use it with my ST1 first stage

They aren't shipping yet. Maybe February 24.

at least they advertise it.

It seems the interest level for the TFX has fallen precipitously. Any new information on availability, availability of just the second stage, first hand experiences, & etc?

I'm just waiting for the release of the second stage alone to buy another.
Once kits and schematics become available, I'm hoping for more debate...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom