• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

The most extreme dive travel experiences

Discussion in 'General Travel and Vacation Discussions' started by ElChe, Oct 5, 2011.

1. ElChe

ElChe Barracuda

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I really liked the 'how many countries have you visited' topic, and it was interesting to think about how much interesting destinations are waiting for me. However I'm happy because I've already visited and dived many countries. I think most of us has a favorite dive destination but who can compare them? So this time I'd like to ask you about the special dives: the biggest animals, the largest wreck, the coldest water, etc.

Here is my list (there can be much more, only these came to my mind):
    My northernmost dive: Goteborg, Sweden
    Southernmost: Abu Fandera, Egyptian Red Sea
    Coldest water: 2 Celsius degrees, ice diving, Hungary
    Warmest water: 32 Celsius degrees, Nemo33 (the world's deepest dive pool), Belgium
    Biggest animals: Pilot whale snorkeling in Tenerife, Spain
    Adrenaline shock: An hour long dive with 2 (3? 4?) oceanic whitetip sharks in the big blue in Egypt
    Highest altitude: 776 meters, Gruner See, Austria
    Longest shipwreck: 178 meters, Zenobia, Cyprus
    Oldest wreck remains: amphoras in Crete, Greece

2. TSandM

TSandM Missed and loved by many. Rest in Peace ScubaBoard Supporter

Fun!

Coldest dive: Deco in Saanich Inlet, at 41 degrees. (It was a toasty 43 at depth.)
    Warmest dive: Elphinstone and Daedalus Reefs in the Red Sea last month, at 86.

Adrenaline dive: 35 minutes spent on a scooter, playing with sea lions, off Anacapa. (See Rainer's video of the same type of dive.)

Biggest animal: Humpback whale off Lanai.

Northernmost dive: Browning Wall, BC
    Southernmost: Byron Bay, Australia.

Best viz: 100+ in Cozumel
    Worst viz: Zero viz exit in Twin Cave in Florida (planned). Truly ZERO Viz!

3. ElChe

ElChe Barracuda

I had to check how much Celsius degrees is 41 F.:)
    I remember zero visibility dives (it's easy if you participate in underwater cleaning in a murky lake...), and the best? Well, there is a weird lake in Austria, the normal is 100+ visibility - when you can dive it after the melting snow fills the valley in May.

4. ElChe

ElChe Barracuda

I nearly forgot this thread... But maybe this winter I'll have a new record, in the end of January I'll dive in the 32 Celsius degrees water of Nemo33 and possibly dive under ice in 3 degrees water- this would be the biggest difference between two following dives.:)

5. Doc

Doc Was RoatanMan

# of Dives: None - Not Certified
    Longest dive on an Alu 80: 2:20 in the Front Yard of CoCoView

Smallest Critter I have Seen: It might be the Amphipods or Isopods (?) at NOT Macro its MICRO pictures by Doc_Adelman - Photobucket

Lowest SPG reading at the end of a dive while still sucking the reg: 45 psi

Warmest temp water reading I have dived in: 94° F

Number of Sharks I have seen: 1,000+ Number of Sharks who have seen me: 40,000+ (?)

Longest time while not moving staring at a critter: 1:02 at 17fsw

Strangest Place to get an AOW Cert: a pool in Northern Illinois in January 1969

Number of dives on one particular wreck: 1,040 on the Prince Albert at CoCoView

Number of times Herself and I have danced underwater: 125 (but who's counting?)

6. ElChe

ElChe Barracuda

1969 and 1040 dives on one wreck- you won...

7. Doc

Doc Was RoatanMan

# of Dives: None - Not Certified
    When I dive with a new diver and they reach the moment where they begin to see things... that's when I think I've won.

We get to work with Developmentally Disabled kids and Handicapped War Vets through Diveheart Foundation Official Website. That, too, is winning.

There are lots of ways "to win". It's an inside job.

8. ElChe

ElChe Barracuda

Absolutely agree! But as I don't plan a longer dive trip in the next few months everyone is a winner who dived recently.:) When I go under water I'm a winner wherever I find a few meters depth and something to see...

Doc likes this.