The most dangerous thing in the water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Man is the most dangerous animal there is, whether above or below H2O

i was recently on a dive vacation I rented a BC and half way through the first dive i hear a hiss sure enough there is a hole in the inflater house I finished the first dive checked it out on the boat the hole looked miner I did the second dive with very little air lose the next day the dive shop gave me a BC to use no charge

Can I reword my statement as "Humankind" to be PC

I would say woman is the most dangerous...either in the water or driving a car.

WRONG

Men with impaired judgement like you, for example, that have probably done too many recreational drugs.

...and monofilament.

and box jellies

and men wearing gold chains with anchors on them.

i was recently on a dive vacation I rented a BC and half way through the first dive i hear a hiss sure enough there is a hole in the inflater house I finished the first dive checked it out on the boat the hole looked miner I did the second dive with very little air lose the next day the dive shop gave me a BC to use no charge

concerning the hiss, here's what every renter should carry(UW)...

https://www.mightyputty.com/spark/index.php?ai=8&tag=mpaisseag100.....:D

the reg i rented while doing my course in sharm was really dodgey the purge button kept sticking and air would sometimes bubble out while i was underwater, but above water when i had my instructor look at it he would just smack it with his hand and say it was fine, how would a beginner know how to check all the equipment
the padi course and instructor i had didnt really mention much about the actual mechanics of the equipment to tell the truth

As we sat talking on the dive boat, we heard a hissing noise
coming from this rental gear regulator. ... This person asked the crew for a
differnent regulator, no other regulators were on-board. ... I then started to notice the condition of other rental gear being used on the trip.
Maybe, one lesson is a reminder to all to check rental gear, if at all possible, before leaving the shop / shore. Hard to do, maybe. We show up at the shop or the dock, late and in a hurry, pick up gear and head out - to the boat, to the dive site, whatever. Ideally, we should do much of the pre-dive safety check before leaving the dock. That doesn't mean having a good repair kit along is not necessary - it is. I can't believe that gear rentals are a profit center for most shops or charter operations, so they are likely to put limited resources into maintenance.
buleetu:
how would a beginner know how to check all the equipment the padi course and instructor i had didnt really mention much about the actual mechanics of the equipment to tell the truth
OW courses don't place extensive emphasis on gear. Performing a pre-dive safety check (which should include checking equipment condition and function) is one of the PADI standards, included in several confined water and open water dives, as is a requirement for the student to prepare, don and adjust their equipment. In addition, gear-related questions are part of the required (PADI) knowledge development sequence. These elements should be part of the PADI Scuba Diver course, and I would suspect this is true for other agency OW courses (NAUI, CMAS, SSI, etc). But, equipment assembly and the pre-dive check may get only cursory attention from some instructors (not right, but possibly reality), in some instructional operations the gear is assembled for the student much of the time (unfortunately), and many students completely miss that part of the instruction because they are almost overwhelmed by the volume of information to which they are exposed in a modest amount of time. (So, when you go back for your OW course, you already have at least one item to focus on. :wink:)

Back
Top Bottom