The most banal topic: DIVER'S HEADACHE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingNewbie

Registered
Reaction score
Northern Virginia (Washington, DC suburbs), United
# of dives
0 - 24
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All, forgive me for posting what very likely may be a topic that has been covered way too many times already. Please bear with me because I have read a bit about this and am just trying to "narrow" things down if possible. I understand that the ULTIMATE answer is a good doctor that is familiar or specializes in dive medicine to diagnose where these headaches come from.

The ISSUE:

I JUST got certified as a PADI Open Water diver. Went to a "boot camp" in which I did the classroom and pool work in one weekend, and then just this past weekend did my 4 checkout dives in a quarry (VERY cold.....44-47F). Both times I got headaches; pool AND quarry. But interestingly enough, the headaches did not come on until AFTER the 2nd or 3rd dive AFTER having been surfaced a few hours...usually the second day. I have a headache now as I write this....yesterday was my last dive. The headaches usually went away after a day and they were moderate in intensity for the most part and they generally were localized to my forehead area, around to my temples. No dizziness or anything. I took some Tylenol and Ibuprofen with a slight effect/improvement. I do have seasonal allergies which I take Allegra and Cingulair for, and I have had sinus issues in the past; I am not taking anything now. Right now, my sinuses are clear and I even went so far as to MAKE SURE they were as clear as can be with a sinus wash before diving; I use this for general sinus health anyway, from time to time.

What I DO know:

From researching around on the web and reading through my scuba stuff, I understand that there could be any number of explanations. Namely:

CO2 build up from improper breathing, skip breathing
tight fitting wetsuit around the neck
tight fitting bib around the head
tension from biting down to hard on the reg or because the reg is heavy
dehydration
cold conditions (although, I had the headache after the pool as well)

I am in fairly good shape as I am quite active in a lot of other activities. I did make sure to drink plenty of fluids before and after diving, ESPECIALLY during my checkout dives. I do know that I did bite down a bit hard when I was in the pool, because I could feel my facial/cheek/mouth muscles a little tired/sore following last weekend. I therefore made more of an effort to relax this past weekend. I also tried to be a bit more consciencious of my breathing pattern....long, deep, and slow. A couple other things: The open water dives were in 7mm wetsuits in 45-50F water. The longest dives were 35 minutes at 45 ft. Obviously we did get cold by the end of the dive. Also, the bib wasn't entirely too tight from what I could tell. It was a bit tight around the mouth area, but that was it. The headache doesn't seem as bad as last weekend, but I'm still wondering what might be contributing factors? Again, I know that ideally, a doctor would have a better idea of pinpointing the source over time, but I just wanted to get a "layman's" opinion on this. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Based on your synptoms, your history of allergy, and your dive profile, I'd suspect that it was sinus related. Even though your sinuses appear clear, the upper recesses may not be so. It doesn't even have to be a pressure/barotrauma issue, it could simply be the result of cols water on that part of your face, or a tight or poorly equalized mask.

Some people also get headaches from excercise, or blood pressure changes.

Given that they weren't serious and second episode was milder than the first, I'd put up with it for a while and see if they continue to improve, or hopefully go away. You might also keep a diary and try to better track their pattern.

You could visit an MD, but unless you spend lots of time and dough on a battery of tests, all he'll be able to do for you, based on limited info, is make an educated guess.

I'm guessing its from rapid shallow breathing. BTDT. Search on Walter and panic for a good thread. (-not implying that you are panicing, just a good read.)

best regards.

well i know in cold water that happens to me and some times when i am teaching with all the up and downs i do. the things that i have found that helps me is 32 to 36 trox and the doc pro plugs first i will try the trox

Often new divers in particular are breathing rapidly, but not deeply. CO2 build-up is a common problem.

Your headaches could result from a number of different things, but one remedy you should consciously work on (that will have an impact on your diving no matter what else may be a contributory cause,) is to make an effort to inhale and exhale calmly, slowly, and deeply while you are diving. Proper breathing and controlling your breathing is a fundamental skill, upon which much else depends. You may as well begin working on it from the beginning.

If you continue to experience headaches, you would be advised to consult a doctor, preferably one who dives. A good alternative would be to do some research with DAN:
(see 'Frontal Headaches' under General)
DAN Divers Alert Network

Regards,

Doc

Based on your synptoms, your history of allergy, and your dive profile, I'd suspect that it was sinus related. Even though your sinuses appear clear, the upper recesses may not be so. It doesn't even have to be a pressure/barotrauma issue, it could simply be the result of cols water on that part of your face, or a tight or poorly equalized mask.

My initial thoughts are the same. It's happened to me numerous, numerous times. During my intensive three-week-divemaster-course I had a mild cold for a few days. I came up with blood in my mask every dive over this period and sometimes had to take a nap to allow my sinuses to clear because the pain was too great while awake. They just WOULD NOT clear properly on ascent.

Does this sound like you?

Something that worked for me was loosening my mask. I initially had the straps way too tight. It also doesn't leak very often, so I was only clearing it if it really started to hurt. After I loosened the straps up, and clearing it even when it doesn't need it, my headaches went away.

Your mileage may vary.

I used to have a similar problem with mild headaches. What I found to work is excruciatingly slow ascents from the safety stop. I mean, so slow that my buddy, who made a slow and safe ascent, is looking down on me from the surface wondering if I'm OK. Super slow, it works for me.

I have read all the good posts hear and will echo, sinuses, or breathing pattern, like rancid, I too have ended a few dives with a bloody nose, and sinus headaches, it happens, ascend nice and slow, snort in your mask every so often, even if it doesn't need to be cleared. Make sure you have done everything to breath deep and slow, and it all should help, check with a doctor who knows diving to make sure your allergy medicines and depth are not part of the problem. I rarely take anything, but if I get a bloody nose on a dive, I do take a sudafed and lots of water before I dive again.

Back
Top Bottom