the menopause ( change of life)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like to call it Mentalpause though. As far as my diving it doesn't affect it except when I get a mood swing and either get angry or end up in tears underwater. It only lasts a couple of minutes but it still happens. Now granted the hot flash's are great for keeping me warm underwater but I don't like them.

I keep saying (at least once a month) that being a man is so much easier then being a woman. I am sure someone will comment on this but I am holding firm to this one.

I can only agree with Dolly Dot. Why are so many of you on HRT? Here in Holland, HRT is not prescribed that often. "We Dutch" consider menopause a natural process, and we have special female consultants, offering all kinds of help, alternative or not.
I have taken natural isoflavones as well, and for me, they really worked.

There are other options out there besides HRT. I read a great article in a magazine about the different choices and symptons. The bottom line is if you don't get any relief from your menopausal symptons with HRT try something else. I dove for 4 years while taking hormones and did not have any problems but finally went off them. I don't see any difference now than when I was taking the HRT except for hot flashes. Too bad you can't have them when you need them. Like in 50 degree water!! Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

My Doctor put me on HRT about 4 years ago at age 52, I took it for about a year. I did not notice any affects on me one way or the other so I took myself off it. When I started taking it I contacted DAN, they said that at that time they had no imformation about HRT that would make it unsafe for me to dive. I continued to dive and never had any problems.

Zuzanne

Sorry to bring this subject up again but I need some advice. I thought I was in full "change of life" mode back then but oh my god it has gotten even worse. I cry at the least little thing and then get very very angry for the dumbest things. My body is all over the place when it comes to that. I don't want to take drugs at all. Does anyone have any advice as far as herbal suppliments or any sort of advice that could help me through this. I really do appreciate any advice given.

cobaltbabe:
Sorry to bring this subject up again but I need some advice. I thought I was in full "change of life" mode back then but oh my god it has gotten even worse. I cry at the least little thing and then get very very angry for the dumbest things. My body is all over the place when it comes to that. I don't want to take drugs at all. Does anyone have any advice as far as herbal suppliments or any sort of advice that could help me through this. I really do appreciate any advice given.

Marie, if you go to WebMd or someplace similar, you will probably find some information regarding things like soy, black cohosh, etc. I tried them all before I went to HRT simply because they didn't do anything to relieve my symptoms.

However, I'd like to point out that "herbal suppliments" are simply drugs in another form. Don't let the label "herbal" or "natural" obscure this fact.

FYI, for those people who think that taking HRT is a somehow unnatural or a sign of weakness, please take the attitude elsewhere. Some women experience a significant problems with the onset of menopause; there is no reason not to seek help.

Bonne chance,

Thank you very much SM. I actually now have an appointment with a doctor. Matt was talking to one of his clients who happens to be a doctor and she is very concerned because of my age and because of my symptoms. She recommended me to one of her students she had graduated and they are getting me in pretty fast. I try very hard not to take pills at all because of my past (I have been very "attached" to pills and wish not to put myself in that situation again) but if it comes down to me getting a good night sleep again and helps me stop snapping and crying at the drop of the hat then I guess I will have to take my chances.

Thank you for you advice. I do very much appreciate it.

I have to ask, cause I have a friend going through Menopause and she's got that wonderful hot flash stuff thus her office is colder than the county morgue... does this effect wet suit selection for dives as well??

In Canada Colin, If your diving wet you need something heavier so hot flash's are not an issue.

Back
Top Bottom