the menopause ( change of life)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brit Girl

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all! I can't be the only woman who is going through the menopause and diving .....can I?? I am just starting to take hormone replacement tablets but can't find any info on the effects on diving anywhere. I posted on the general forum a short while ago and had one reply about the side effects. There surely must be lots of women past 40 who are taking some form of medication for the change of life! I am desperate for information as no one can seem to give me any advice on whether i should declare this on medical forms etc. My Gp says that I should treat it like the contraceptive pill but I just want to know for sure.:eek:ut:

I understand and I am right there with you. I have not yet started on HRT, but I am going to. I just had labwork done last week, my Dr. called and she said that I would benefit from a low dose of HRT at this time. I have an appointment this morning to see her. As she is also a diving Dr. I will ask her. I am fairly sure though from all the reading I have done that it should also be treated or looked at same as birth controll pills.

Ladies, you aren't alone!

Menopause...been there, done that! My HRT caused no problems with my diving.

HRT presents no additional or greater side effect for divers. Of course, consult your private physician.

I'd be ripping Pearce's head off! :fury:

Now, I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. However, I am a scuba Instructor.

To my knowledge there is no reason why HRT should be declared on a medical questionaire. In fact, I just pulled the PADI one up on my Digital Instructor Manual & didn't find anything that relates to HRT, contraceptives or ANY type of hormonal therapy. The only "female related" item that comes up is whether or not the diver is pregant.

For some specific information, I highly recommend consulting Dr. Ern Campbell aka Scubadoc at: http://scuba-doc.com/

Hope this helps,

My wife's been on HRT for 8 years now. She's been diving the whole time (65 dives per yr avg). That diving ranged from wrecks in Scapa to Panama to Lake Superior to ice diving. She has had no adverse effects whatsoever. Her M.D. knows she's diving and gave her no cautions at all.

FWIW...

Have a look at the web site of the British based 'Diving Diseases Research Centre' at www.ddrc.org , you will find some information there on 'women and diving' which may be of interest to you. Alternatively try emailing a lady there by the name Marguerite St Leger Dowse, who is doing all this research on women and diving and may be able to answer your questions in more detail.

I've had a good search through my own data on women and diving issues, but unfortunately most topics concerning our more mature female divers centre on osteoporosis and the risk of decompression illness. Check out the DDRC website and an article there called 'Physiology and the female diver':

I found this in my own files which may help:

"Old age, menopause & osteoporosis:

There is no pool of diving data to indicate that women are at any more or less risk of ADI or osteonecrosis when peri-menopausal or post-menopausal. Average menopausal age is 50, osteoporosis usually starts between ages 60-65 and fractures average at 70-75.

Osteonecrosis and osteoporosis have differing pathophysiologic mechanisms; osteonecrosis resulting from blockage of the small blood vessels of the bone, while osteoporosis comes from changes in cellular activity. Diving does not seem to have any effect on the changes in the osteoblasts and clasts that occur with aging and diminished oestrogen.

Good advice would be for the elderly female diver to dive conservatively so as to not add the risk of bubble damage to a porous bone from osteoporosis."

Of course, the first person you should be taking to should be your diving doctor, who will give you accurate safe information. Anything you receive on a web site chat room should of course be taken in the manner in which it is intended. Perhaps make some enquiries on the DAN web site.

kind regards
Dennis Guichard

dennisg:
Have a look at the web site of the British based 'Diving Diseases Research Centre' at www.ddrc.org , you will find some information there on 'women and diving' which may be of interest to you. Alternatively try emailing a lady there by the name Marguerite St Leger Dowse, who is doing all this research on women and diving and may be able to answer your questions in more detail.

Dennis, thanks for the great info.

Meanwhile, one very important factor people should remember is that generally speaking, scuba is NOT a weight bearing activity. So women need to make sure that not only do they take the appropriate calcium suppliments, but also that they engage in some sort of weight bearing exercise in order to help prevent osteopenia/osteoperosis.

Also, a bone density scan is a good idea to determine whether or not one is loosing mass.

Dennis - that's a great link! Thanks for it, and the info.

I went on HRT when I was 40 and only lasted 6 months - I really didn't feel good on it - got fat, spotty and even more bad tempered !!!!!! Now I use natural isoflavones and herbal remedies and minerals and feel loads better. I think it is totally a personal choice and what suits some doesn't suit others !!! Take the advice of your GP or seek alternative medicine if you are not happy - Trouble is in the UK - our GP's are quite reluctant to recommend alternative therapies ! Wishing you the Best.

Hi

I have been diving for 10 years started at 43 I am now 53 and have been a dive instructor for nearly 3 years so now dive all the time. I have been taking HRT for about 4 years and have had no problems at all with my diving.

Have fun and stop worrying it is great!!!! :yelclap:

Back
Top Bottom