The Mares & Dacor HUB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jepuskar:
I know why some instructors would wear it...students see their instructor in it and all of a sudden need to have it because its top of the line.
At least one of the instructors I know got a very large discount - to use it while instructing. But I believe this happens with quite a few products. :wink:

jepuskar:
Do you see how bulky that thing is, how much extra weight do you need to add on to compensate for that?

Actually,
Having lifted the hub, it is quite heavy. There is a steel manifold built into the back for routing hoses into the appropriate locations. In warm water, I can't imagine anyone would have to use much weight...

JAG

RichLockyer:
There's a wimpy plastic hose coiled in a pocket behind the AirTrim. It has a cap on the end and is not unlike blowing up and air mattress. No valve... you have to pinch the hose while you take a breath.

Actually not... it has a one way valve in the end... Still not a big fan though. For the same money, someone can buy a nice BC and a better reg setup. And what happens if you want to get a better BC one day... Ooops... get rid of BC and reg and start over. Or the reg starts free flowing on a dive. Hope they have a spare reg set and a spare BC in your size. That's the big problem with all in one. If something goes... it all goes.

We sell some of the cheaper ones... but in the 1000 price range - we don't even carry them - I just don't think it's a good idea to have that much money in a self contained unit.

scubatoys:
Actually not... it has a one way valve in the end... Still not a big fan though.
Oh no... don't tell me it's a kind of Schraeder that needs two hands to dump (one to hold the hose and one to flip the cap over and insert?), or is it inflate-only and you hope that the AirTrim can dump?

It's been a couple of years since I looked at one.

Yea, sorta' like that, flip the cap, push in on the little thingy... but you also have a right shoulder pull dump that will work even without air hooked up. So they thought of all those things... I still am not a fan - but they do have the bases covered...

Divers Direct has the dacor hub BC on for $499.
This is a big discount, I think.
Why?
Are they phasing these BC's out for a newer model?
Have they had problems with them?
Seems suspicious, or am I overly skeptical?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom