The manta dive is going off right now... quick video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I cheated!

I got up to 17, but was pretty sure there were more, then asked one of the videographers that worked the site that night how many there were. I don't even attempt to keep track of them by name, but the videographers typically take a slate down with them and start writing down names as they recognize them (all the mantas have either different belly spot markings or characteristics - broken or deformed cephalic fin, short tail, etc). The night last year that it was 35 or so I knew it was 25+, the videographers compared films and made a full list of mantas.

It's a lot to try to keep track of. I'm reasonably accurate up to about 15/17, after that it's just a lot of blurry motion, and typically on really busy nights there are small (5-7 footers) young ones circling outside the main group, and I've got to ask the video people or wait 'til the manta report comes out the next morning.

Very cool Steve, I've wanted something I can show folks that ask about the Manta dive.

:thumb:

Very nice! Thanks for posting the video.

Best wishes.

Very impressive. It's always been a life goal of mine to dive with mantas. Where was this at?

Quite a traffic jam! I know Kona is getting a bit crowded, but geez, now even the mantas are feeling the crunch..........

To non-divers though, I wonder if that is actually a scary video? :D

Very impressive. It's always been a life goal of mine to dive with mantas. Where was this at?
I'd wager it is the site right off the Kona airport. That has been the prime manta spot for years now.

Only saw about 15 of the critters last time I dove there. :eyebrow:

Quite a traffic jam! I know Kona is getting a bit crowded, but geez, now even the mantas are feeling the crunch..........
:D
Just to pass along a little info... the new highway leading into town from Honokohau harbor is open and the traffic situation is much much better now. It dropped my morning travel from Captain Cook to the harbor by almost 15 minutes, my afternoon trips from Captain Cook to the harbor are about 25 minutes shorter. From the resorts up north is way better than before the highway was opened, no jam up south of the airport like there used to be. They've partially opened the Mamalahoa bypass to the south and now heading to South Kona in the late afternoon/early evening is also not an issue like it was... used to take me 60-75 minutes to get home from the harbor in peak traffic, now 35-40ish.

You are correct on the location... off the airport. I can't recall ever hearing of more than 7-8 at the Sheraton site, and those were rare events.

Back
Top Bottom