The lure of new equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone who mentioned TOYS is completely WRONG.

Kids have toys,

grownups have SPORTS EQUIPMENT

hey

Here are a couple of thoughts:

There are two kinds of things: things you need and things you want (and their various combinations, ie things you need but don't want). I also think that need is inversely proportional to the amount of impulsiveness with which you purchase something.

All this stuff, regardless, makes possible an activity, and each piece makes the experience of doing that activity subtly different, and one of the things we like is to be able to experience diving differently depending on what kind of gear. Just as a Nikon F5 handles differently from a Pentax K1000, or my Les Paul plays and sounds totally unlike my blue el cheapo strat copy, a Scubapro R190 will probably dive differently from an Apeks whateveritis...and all this stuff I would love to HAVE onhand, right here, all the time, to play with at my leisure. Closely related: a lot of us just like fooling around with new and unfamiliar thingies, figuring them out, trying them, etc. Some go for brand new gear, some love raiding ebay for cool used and obsolete stuff or some piece that works great for peanuts. But we just think these doodads are neat in their own right, and the more we can play with the better.

The other, slightly more cynical thing: I can't shake the feeling that a lot of divers who buy lots of gear--and especially those who continually opt for the "best," the most expensive, etc.--are just plain consumaterialists. Diving does have a bit of a reputation as being an expensive, glamourous leisure activity for the well-to-do similar to golf (we have luxury resorts catering just to us, fer chrissakes.) and I think that with that rep goes this kind of my-irons-are-better-than-yours mentality. Ditto for the (yes, here I go again) techies and tech-wannabes for whom mere recreational gear is toylike. In this general group resides the occasional diver who blows a grand on a HUB and shows it off to his friends. :D

So in a nutshell, I say that divers who buy loads of gear, beyond what's necessary, are roughly in two categories:

1) those who buy gear because they like gear ,

and

2) those who buy gear because they like what that gear represents.

Either way, it's mostly about want, not need. Yes, we are like kids, basically, except that we don't have to beg and throw tantrums in the aisle at Toys R' Us anymore.

cheers

Billy S.

Oh, and Seabat...if you're the same Seabat I'm thinking of, fancy meeting YOU here of all places! hehe

cheers

Billy S.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom