The long hose Blues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always dive mine off the NC coast and wear pretty much the same configuration for wrecks and caves. Over time I have fiddled with hose lengths and placement until satisfied and comfortable. I keep a completely separate set of regs for 'regular' diving so that helps keep all the mess sorted out.

One thing that I did earlier this year was to switch all my tech regs over to Miflex hoses (except the high pressure which cannot be). I have been happy with the performance and the increased flexibility the hoses have.

For now, I'm still an OW recreational diver who uses a 7' hose. I read so much about it here on SB and seen it in use in the Florida springs, it just made sense to me. I tried it and liked it, so now I dive with that setup and a (DSS BP/W). I could be wrong, but my gear feels more streamlined and uncluttered than compared to a BCD and regular setup.

Did you retain the hose, or revert back to standard length?

7' is standard length...

:D

The only advantage I know of, and Thal may have some more comments, is that it reduces by one the number of hoses (and thus reduces drag and clutter) you have.

Unlike Thal, I use my combo setup only as a pool rig because I need to dive a "traditional" BC for demonstration purposes.

In OW, I dive a BP/W, long hose primary, bungied secondary -- why? -- because I like the fit/feel of the BP/W better than my Balance AND since I go back and forth between singles and doubles, I at least keep some of my gear relatively standardized. Ideally, I'd do my pool work in a BP/W also but that means I'd need to develop a relationship with another shop -- but THAT is another long and boring story.

My first set of gear was a Hog set-up, and I've seen no reason to change it, other than to add a set of doubles. I've never had an issue with the 7' hose, tucking it either in my belt or under a can light.

Nope -- sorry! :D

I grew using standard measurement for everything.

Whenever I have to deal with you metric people I have to use a converter.

Feet to meters I am pretty good at averaging.

Celsius to Fahrenheit I do ok as long as it is in the 20-80 range (the temperature range of places that I monitor)

I know -- they all tell me metric is supposed to be simpler -- Sorry I just can't wrap this blonde head around it and make the switch! :shakehead:

Oh yeah and as to not hijack the thread -- I agree a 7" longhose IS the standard! :wink:

Oh yeah and as to not hijack the thread -- I agree a 7" longhose IS the standard! :wink:

Kimber! are you saying what I think you're saying... a seven-inch hose is standard! :cool2:

The real point was to suggest that citing a very specific measurement as standard can lead to problems... especially when dealing with things like standards... far better to say a long hose is standard and its length is usually around 7 feet or two metres.

Trying to convert is the problem... I have to deal with both and it's easier to just think in either unit without attempting any conversion... a 200 foot dive is a 60 metre dive... even though really it's not. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom