The Lexy November '05 Dive Report thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lexy:
I'm putting a bet on the ID being a blue shark where as Aeon (Bill) is betting on a nurse shark. .

Congratulations on the shark sighting. There are no nurse sharks in so-cal. most likely either a blue, leopard, grey smoothhound, or brown smoothhound. they all look quite different, so looking at some photos on google images should give you an idea. I saw many sharks last night, they were all juvie horn sharks.

Scott

photo from last night:
Redondo20051121+063.jpg

Date: Nov 23, 2005
Dive Location: Deadman’s Reef, Crescent Bay
Time: 10:38 am
Bottom Time: 44:30
Max Depth: 69 ft
Vis: 25+ ft.
Wave height: 1 ft. or flat, with occasional 3 ft
Temp at depth: 59 degrees Suunto
Surface Temp: 63 air, 63 water
Tide Information: Flat at between +3 and +4 until 6pm

Met up with Pasley at 9:30am for a pre-Thanksgiving, “skipped work cause I deserve it” dive at Deadman’s. Traffic was almost nonexistent on the way down, which is good. The ocean looked pretty flat, virtually no wind, with occasional 2 or 3ft sets. We chewed the fat for a bit, then geared up and headed down to the beach. Entry was very easy, and as we swam out I was shocked by how crystal clear the water was. Most of the way out past the reef you could clearly see the bottom. So we swam and swam and swam and swam, and neither of us could remember exactly what the markers are for finding Deadman’s. Is it face of the cliff on the right and flagpole between Seal Rocks on the left, or…. So we kept swimming, had to fend off a racing boat that passed a bit too close to us, and swam some more. After Pasley performed a tank adjustment on me, we finally decided to drop, and agreed that when we hit 60ft we’d stop and head towards shore. So we dropped, hit 60ft, put on the brakes, and still couldn’t see the bottom. Which means we probably were in an area that was 80 or 90+ ft. deep. So we swam towards shore (north) at around 60-70 ft for what seemed like forever, and finally the sandy bottom came into view way below us. So we swam some more, and finally hit Deadman’s. With all the exertion I was sucking a lot more air than normal (my SAC was pretty high at 0.67), so we didn’t have much time to explore the reef. We headed east for a bit along the reef, then back towards shore. There was also a bit of a current/surge against us as we headed north towards shore, and I’m not sure what that was all about. Tides are basically flat today, no wind…hmmm…. So we headed northwest and finally came upon the west reef of Crescent Bay, and followed it in. Conditions were pretty much ideal today. Virtually no surf, no wind, tide not changing much, and crystal clear water. After the dive I had to take off, though I was dying to do another dive. Next time I’ll remember to bring my depth finder to make finding Deadman’s a bit easier. Oh, by the way, we saw lots of fish and stuff.

Would this have helped?

Info from South Coat Divers:

DO NOT SURFACE out here unless it is an emergency, YOU can & WILL get run over by some of the boaters out there who do not know there is a reef system here, you can actually "SEE" the boat hulls go over your head at times. In fact, in April 2001, EVEN a lifeguard boat did this, from what we were told back on the beach, I heard and saw the hull "Go over" about 15-20 feet above us, it can be "Real nerve racking"

After entering the water, we swim past the end of the point, keeping those Rocks in the above picture directly in line with us, then we get "Just past even" with Seal Rock, THIS is where we decend. Once we make it to where the sandy bottom is, we use a South/SouthWest heading and swim the 6-8 minutes to Deadman's Reef. The Reef comes up sharply to points Vertical from a depth of about 50 feet all the way up to about 10-15 feet (Depending on the tide) if you hit 60 feet without finding the reef, YOU have missed the Reef to the left, turn sharply to the right and head for shallower water and you will find Deadman's in the 50 foot range again.

Thanks LLKZ16. I was checking my old dive logs, and there's a slightly different drop down point that brings you right on top of Deadman's. I think the South Coast Divers' directions keep you out of shipping lanes :D, but require a pretty long UW swim.

The one I was trying to remember is you line up with the face of the cliff on the west side of Crescent Bay, and then line up so that a flagpole over to your left on that cliff is in line with the northern-most (closest to shore) of the two Seal Rocks. Or is it between the two Seal Rocks... Anyway, one of the challenges is picking the right flagpole. If you do it right, and the viz is nice like today, I'm told you should see the top of Deadmans from the surface while you're snorkeling out.

The far flag pole is the target. The trouble is I could not see it and allowed myself to be fooled by the flag poll at the other house. The two divers I told how to get there followed my own directions better than I did and got right there.

With the swim (Jim set quite a pace) my SAC was way up at 0.56 too. I have noticed that I often have to fight a current comming off shore on the way back from Deadmans. Oh well, it was a great dive in great conditions and our legs lungs and hearts will be the better for it.

redondo, 11/21, 8PM
max depth 70ft
vis 20ft in shallows, 5ft below 55ft, no waves

- saw lots of crabs, fringeheads, juvie hornsharks, mole crabs out feeding, a nice juvie cabezon
- complete photo gallery: http://gallery.scubapost.net/v/scottfiji/Redondo20051121/

point dume pinnacles, 11/23, 2:30PM
max depth 50ft, vis 20ft
current - mild, no waves
- complete photo gallery: http://gallery.scubapost.net/v/scottfiji/PointDume20051123/

- saw over a dozen horn sharks, large lobsters, dozens of treefish & other rockfish, an octopus, many fish

redondo:

Fringehead after biting my finger
Redondo20051121+009.jpg

beautiful juvenile cabezon
Redondo20051121+053.jpg

Spiny mole crab feeding on tiny shrimp, a very rare sight
Redondo20051121+081.jpg

point dume:

eye of the horn shark
PointDume20051123+085.jpg

gopher rockfish
PointDume20051123+019.jpg

CO-sole
PointDume20051123+044.jpg

Hi everyone,

I know this is a day late, but better than never, right?

John and I decided to make a Tuesday Night Dive at Redondo Beach, Veteran's Park. Initially going in, the water was brown, minimal viz, if any. We entered through ankle slappers and made our way out . Instead of taking our typical Westernly heading, we decided on a South West heading instead for something different. Dropped down into ok viz, about 10 feet at best initially, right away spotting a Thornback Ray.

Love was in the air tonight...or in the water...numereous sand crabs were co-habitating. It was really fun watching them, some of them even skirted around launching themselves like a torpedo. Swimming along, we spotted a couple of large Sheep Crabs. At first, I thought they were co-habitating as well, however, they were perched ontop of a dead ray...feasting away. Other little crabs and Kellets Welk were attempting to get some tidings as well. Spotted more Sheep Crab as well as Decorator Crabs scampering about the bottom. As we got deeper, Viz improved to about 15'. Lots of Sea Pens flourishing on the sandy/ muddy bottom. Spotted many Sarcastic Fringe Heads hiding out in various shells. John actually found one out of his hiding spot, laying under a kelp frond. We gently removed the kelp frond to expose quite a large Fringe Head. I didn't know how pretty of a fish that they were. Missed photo op! Continuing on, I noticed two 'little eyes' staring up out of the mud. On closer observation, it was a small octopuss! I called John over to see, then I attempted to scoop him up in my hand. Then, all of a sudden, he pulled himself under the mud. I scooped up the mud, only to reveal a baby food jar. The small octopuss had pulled himself all the way inside the jar with his tentacles pressed all around the glass. John and I both bursted out laughing. I gently returned the small octo to the mud, and then John discovered something going across his glove. It was a baby Moray Eel, about 2-3" long!!! It was so tiny, but you could make out his head.

Going deeper into the canyon, we spotted a large octopuss in a half barrel; several Scorpion Fish; Sculpins of all shapes and sizes, babies too!!! Soooooooooo Cute!!! Oh, and then a really coooooool sighting...we observed a Lewis Moon Snail crossing over the mud going at a fairly rapid pace. There was a wee little critter, either an infant Kellet's Welk, or perhaps an infant Lewis Moon Snail, but in any case, the large Lewis Moon Snail that we were observing engulfed this little guy. Laying in the mud just a few inches from the Lewis Moon Snail was quite a large Halibut. Did not stirr with our presence.

The next cool thing we saw was a nudibranch that neither John or myself had seen before. It was light brown, with ivory markings. It's head was kind of shaped like a vaccuum cleaner, it had horns on it, then the body looked like as if it had a shell on top of it's elongated body. After spotting this nudi, we spotted several more of the same species, quite large ones too. This nudi is not on my ID chart, and I didn't have my camera with me to take a pic. Anyone???

Coming close to NDL at depth of 80 feet, we decided to turn around. Coming back up the Canyon, I spotted a Lizard Fish. I had never seen one of these in person before, so I was really excited to have spotted him. More Sarcastic Fringe Heads were out and about. We were also greeted by a baby lobster!

More and more critters were seen on our way back to shore. Exited without incident, still ankle slapper conditions.

Viz was not the best, but I have to say, that this had to have been one of my best dives to date! So much to see, and new stuff too! Can't wait to go back!!!

Date: November 24th, 2005
Dive Location: Nicholas Canyon, Malibu
Time: 9:39
Bottom Time: 1:16
Max Depth: 36'
Vis: 20'
Wave height: 1-2'
Temp at depth: 60F
Comments: I went back up to Nicholas Canyon County Beach this morning in search of the elusive Hilton's Aeolid nudibranch. I didn't find one, but did see an explosion of baby nudis everywhere! Mostly cute little Lemon nudis, but I also found a Polyclad flatworm, Eurylepta californica. Unfortunately, my photography skills seem to be diminishing with each dive. :huh:
10404_8281_1.jpg
10404_8281_2.jpg

Susan went home with a full bag of bugs for her Thanksgiving feast. I get to wash gear and try to figure out my camera before tomorrow's dives.

Date: November 24th, 2005
Dive Location: Secret Gardens (La Jolla)
Time: 3:11pm
Bottom Time: 1:01
Max Depth: 109'
Vis: 15-20'
Wave height: 1-3'
Temp at depth: 57F

Headed out to sea after sufficiently stuffing myself with Thanksgiving day lunch :D The waves weren't as small as they have been lately, but fortunately they were powerless so entry and exit were a breeze. Kicked out to the red buoy out from the main lot and descended, hoping to find the baby nudis that I'd seen on a previous dive (they were all over the kelp at the bottom of the buoy)... but sadly, no nudis. Poked around the buoy line and kelp patch, then headed slowly to the canyon, enjoying a solid 20ft of vis. Dropped into the wash and saw the familiar markers- the cone and the pile of bones- and knew we were headed the right way.. Gorgonians began appearing and then the walls, but the vis in the canyon had dropped and was worse than the shallows... Found several nudis on the wall, along with various types of fish (the usual ones), anemones, octos, etc... An extremely large male sheephead came up from the canyon to peek in on us, then nonchalantly swam off.. Hit ndl and turned around for a slow swim back in, seeing lots of nudis on the way (mostly tritonia diomedea, & flabellina pricei-the blue ones & the white ones). Suunto says it was 57F but I dont THINK so! brrr!!
154LJ+008a.jpg

154LJ+028a.jpg

154LJ+056a.jpg

Just never know what sort of handy utensil you'll find around 103 ft :07:
154LJ+026.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom