The Last Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just in the middle of the Last Dive myself, and I received my copy of Fatal Depth yesterday. Lots of reading to do .... now to find some time to read between work and diving.

I thought the book was outstanding. Not only for the what not to do part, but also the what can happen if you do everything right. another great thing about the book was the history of diving he gave. Some of the stories were very interesting. I think every diver should read it. I have just started reading Deep Descent-Aventures and Death Diving the Andrea Doria. So far it seems to be very good.

Just finished "the Last Dive". Guess I was prompted by this thread and all the fatalities reported on this board recently.

Excellent read, found the history and phsycology really enhanced the story.

I was also surprised by the relatively short history for "technical diving" and tri-mix. I grew up watching Cousteu in the 70's, remember the "cave" show referred to in the book, also remember seeing them deco'ing while reading a book, ripping pages out of the book as they finished them. Since I only started diving last year I assumed that Nitrox and Trimix had longer histories in Rec diving.

Lastly, I was wondering if anyone else has noticed that there are a couple of "personalities" on this board that demostrate similar character traits of the Rouse's? Please don't take offense to this, know that none is intended -- just an observation.

RJ

rjens once bubbled...
Just finished "the Last Dive". Guess I was prompted by this thread and all the fatalities reported on this board recently.

Excellent read, found the history and phsycology really enhanced the story.

I was also surprised by the relatively short history for "technical diving" and tri-mix. I grew up watching Cousteu in the 70's, remember the "cave" show referred to in the book, also remember seeing them deco'ing while reading a book, ripping pages out of the book as they finished them. Since I only started diving last year I assumed that Nitrox and Trimix had longer histories in Rec diving.

Lastly, I was wondering if anyone else has noticed that there are a couple of "personalities" on this board that demostrate similar character traits of the Rouse's? Please don't take offense to this, know that none is intended -- just an observation.

RJ

The common theme of these underwater books is that failures happen. Therefore failures need to be planned for. That usually means brainstorming during the dive planning process to figure out in advance what could go wrong, and then planning a backup procedure in case it does happen.

Staging extra tanks at various depths has been popular for decades. Modifying gas mixes and gear for the task at hand is always changing. Configurations always seem to be changing as well. Scooters have been around for decades as well, they are just getting better with technology. Same is true with lights.

Welcome to your discovery of technical mixes. One of your first difficult choices will be which tech group to join.

Then pretty soon you will probably start dreaming of diving in the Great Lakes! Although right now is not a particularly good time. They will be starting to ice over soon!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom