The language barrier...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you mean bonus not surplus

Ended up as buddies? Point, point, index fingers together. Any OW diver should get that

People should get it, but unfortunately, I've run into some cases where I've had to teach basic signals to my buddy during the dive planning.

A reminder to all fellow guides and divemasters, when conducting the pre-dive briefing, please make sure that all your divers have understood the briefing and are comfortable with the language being spoken... We live in a cosmopolitan world and it is not unusual to be on a boat with people from 5-6 different nationalities or even more.

This is a tremendously important point, and most often ignored -- even by me, whose wife is a non-native English speaker. It is SO EASY to make sure *I* understood the fine points and walk off. Maybe ask my wife if she understands and get a "yes". That is NOT enough! I have learned the hard way!!

Non-native speakers get very used to functioning without completely understanding, and most of the time it's fine. But once you get underwater there is far more potential danger.

I live in CA, in SF, so it patently obvious here that there are many non-native speakers. I imagine this is the case is many tropical or vacation destinations but I bet most DMs don't think about it much. Even asking a non-native speaker directly "Do you understand?" is not enough -- most English learners will nod their head and say "yes" because they are embarrassed and they have gotten along just fine doing so.

I really liked the earlier suggestion that DMs walk around in the dive group and make sure each person is spoken to informally, in a personal, friendly way, at least once so you have an idea of the language capability of those in your care. Then after the briefing you have a chance to reinforce.

Thanks for bringing this up!

- Bill

One guide cannot speak every language potentially on the boat- I speak 3 and I'm not ready to start the long journey to learn a fourth.

If the individual doesn't understand the basic plan... the onus is on the individual to speak up, or arrange for a translator. I would not go base-jumping in Norway without ensuring that there is a way of meaningful communication.

Speaking clearly and avoiding slang is one thing- but one guide can only do so much.

I recommend to all 'foreign' students to get an old copy of an OW manual and learn the vocab for diving in English- by all means learn the sport in your mother-tongue, but the individual should understand that diving in many foreign countries basically means diving in English as it is still the global language.

Highly unlikely that dive operator will turn away a client who has language problem.
Ability to dive has nothing to do with foreign language proficiency.

People should get it, but unfortunately, I've run into some cases where I've had to teach basic signals to my buddy during the dive planning.

My point is that it's not a language issue

These pre-dive instructions (sticking to their buddy, following the DM, max bottom time, using the line to ascend and descend, informing the DM if they decide to ascend, etc) could all be put on a laminated card and given to read before the oral briefing if the same plan is used daily. It would be a win-win. Safer and good for return business. That's the kind of thing people post in their reviews on Trip Advisor. I rent boats and we have a FWC card on each boat. I have posted their description of it below. They have really helped. Imagine trying to decribe a manatee footprint or explain an idle zone.

Laminated with a hole in the corner so it can be easily hung and kept on board any vessel, the waterway card features simple tips to protect manatees and contain multiple color photos depicting how to spot manatees in the water and how to obey posted speed zones, because a picture really can be worth a thousand words when trying to explain these important issues to the public. Information on the card is provided in English, French, Spanish, and German, so it is suited for Florida’s many visitors

---------- Post Merged at 07:04 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:01 PM ----------

I think they didn't understand but were too shy to show it. I must say they were also a bit irresponsible by not caring to ask...

Lots of irresponsible divers in UAE, especially on the east coast cattle boats

Back
Top Bottom