The Keys and Key West

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dufuzz54

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I will be visiting Key West in mid September. We plan to make a stop some where in the middle keys on the way down for an overnight and some diving, stay about four days in Key West to sight see and dive, and then stop again on the way back up for a day. We will spend a few more days in Miami while I attend a work related convention before returning home.

I am looking for recomendations places to stop over on the way down and back, and for recommendations on dive operations I should use and/or avoid.

Thanks

Not that the diving in Key West is "terrible" or anything, but I think that most people here will agree that he diving is better in the middle and upper keys than in Key West. Just FYI in case you want to use that info to plan your trip.

mike_s:
Not that the diving in Key West is "terrible" or anything, but I think that most people here will agree that he diving is better in the middle and upper keys than in Key West. Just FYI in case you want to use that info to plan your trip.

Took my daughter to do her testing in Islamorada. We had a great dive group and instructors. We dove with Ocean Quest and would definately go back again.

mike_s:
Not that the diving in Key West is "terrible" or anything, but I think that most people here will agree that he diving is better in the middle and upper keys than in Key West.
There is also some very nice diving at Looe Key, along with a nearby artificial wreck, the Aldophus Busch (sp?). It's reasonably short drive from Key West, and IMO is much better diving.

Unfortunately, Capt Jim Wyatt has closed down Reef Divers and moved up to cave country, but here is a list of other dive shops in the milemarker 30 area.

I heard the warmer water this year has sent the sealife
further out this year...my friend was just at Pennkamp (sp)
and said it wasn't very good diving right now....anyone
else care to agree or disagree?

Dufuzz54:
My wife and I will be visiting Key West in mid September. We plan to make a stop some where in the middle keys on the way down for an overnight and some diving, stay about four days in Key West to sight see and dive, and then stop again on the way back up for a day. We will spend a few more days in Miami while I attend a work related convention before returning home.

I am looking for recomendations places to stop over on the way down and back, and for recommendations on dive operations I should use and/or avoid.

Thanks

Make sure you stop in Key Largo & dive the Spiegel Grove. It is realy a great dive.
Call Glen or Brent at http://www.bluewaterdiver.net/. They can hook you up with a hotel room & a great dive trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom