The joys of teaching!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
We had an excellent day at the pool today! Nothing means more to an instructor than to have a student really understand and internalize a lesson. JP's wife did that today!!
Today was the first full day on scuba and after the weighting determination, mask skills, regulator skills, no-mask breathing UW etc, etc we moved on to the golf ball game, which is my way of introducing buoyancy control through breathing. No one eve has this mastered during this session but they do start getting the idea. Such was the case with Monica until I was talking to her while we were breaking down the gear at the end of the day. She very clearly described what she was doing and what each attempted action would result in. She also noted that it was just slightly more difficult to descend from the surface just by exhaling when the tank got below 1000psi and she knew why this was the case. At this point in the class most people have not put that much stuff together in their own mind, on their own. She clearly gets it, and now only needs some practice time to refine and then really hone her buoyancy skills. We still have four or five session to go, and naturally, I will provide some "issues" along the way:D

High fives to Monica!!!

Yea for Monica! Outstanding.

JP must be so proud!!

I really am proud of her! We went down to Corbin, Ky to visit her mother for the rest of the weekend and that's all she talked about. It's great to see the excitement of a new diver!:D

Nice job JBD. You're one of the most thorough and conscientious instructors I've met, so it's no surprise that you are causing light bulbs to come on. I'm sure you're building a quality diver who will enjoy our "addiction" for life and who will be a role model of great skills for other divers.

Great, Monica is in progress.

We need to arrange the 2nd event date as soon as possible. :)

Back
Top Bottom