The Jellyfish & commercial diver (humor)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would you wear a brass helmet with a wetsuit?

Only 35 minutes of deco for a saturation diver?

I dont believe a word of it !!

The Miller 400 series deepsea diving helmet comes with a neoprene neck dam so that it can be worn in the standard fasion in the Gulf of Mexico oil fields, with a cheep wet suit. The hat is completely bronze. Most other commercial diving helmets can also be worn in the same fasion.

xboggs6.jpg

Just because a diver is saturation qualified does not mean that he was doing a sat dive. Most of the deco done in commercial diving, if it is not a short dive, is done on the surface in a chamber. :35 min. in water in not unusual. You need to think outside the recreational No "decompression" dive limits to understand that there are other ways to off-gas.

If you think :35 min. of deco is unrealistic, then tell me what depth this guy was at that you are basing your statment on.

Thanks for the info on the helmet and I take your point on the saturation diver need not be doing a saturation dive.

I still dont think the story is true though!

Out of interest.Could a diver saturated to,say 200 feet do only 35 minutes of in water deco before hopping into a chamber on the surface?

Once in sat at any depth (40' to 1200') the diver would leave bottom in a diving bell that completely closes and is mated to a habitat (really big chamber) on the surface. The diver never leaves the pressure of the working depth (200' in your question) until the decompression process is started in the habitat. There would be exceptions in emergencies where a Deck Decompression Chamber or the lock-out section of the main habitat would be used to decompress an injuried diver.

Now if you are talking a working dive with a planned surface decompression (dive not necessarily saturated with notrogen) than on the U.S Navy standard decompression on air a diver can do :15 on the bottom (square profile, no swimming up and down) and decompress during his return to the surface, with three stops and a total deco time of 21 minutes and 40 seconds. There is no :35 deco on that table. There are a number of different dive tables because some of the larger commercial diving contractor have done the reseach and made their own. Most are less conservative than the U.S.N. tables and way more conservative than any rereational dive tables.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom