The Isle of Man, UK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dangerousa

Registered
Reaction score
Just thought I should point the Island out to everyone who dives in Europe. I have posted on this site for a few months and heard nothing about it yet.
Let me tell you that the Isle of Man has some of the best diving waters in the United Kingdom, lots of diving clubs and boat operators, and if you're looking for a dive weekend try it.
I can't dive very often at home because of my work, but in the last week, I have been in the water with seals, dolphins and a basking shark ! ! and in some of the best underwater surroundings you can find.
OH did I mention the 130+ wrecks that surround our little Island.
CHECK IT OUT

Hi there

i would never have thought it!

How long do you think it takes from London, and are the operators set up for a weekend stay with diving included?

any websites would be great!

Aatif

Hi,
The Isle of Man is a one hour BA Flight from Gatwick or a BE flight from London City. Check the operators websites for details and try to plan well in advance as flights can be very pricey if you book too late. You can also travel by ferry from Liverpool or Heysham (nr Lancaster) which is much cheaper and you can bring transport for your gear, or even if you are coming as a club or group, your own dive boat.
There are lots of small guest-houses and hotels from 1 star to 4 star available depending on where you stay on the Island. Assuming you have transport I would stay in the capital Douglas, this is were the better hotels are and most of the nightlife, entertainment venues etc.
Most of the top dive sites are accessed from Port Erin and Port St Mary which are about 20-30 mins drive away. Port Erin has a large number of fairly decent hotels (mainly privately run) as well but is very quite in the evenings.
With regards to the diving it is all run by clubs on the Island and our particular club is always fully booked every weekend but could possibly schedule week day trips.
Search Isle of Man Diving on Google and you will get plenty of information.
The main dive store can be found at www.aecdas.com it is also a auto electrical supplier so dont be put off also try http://www.iom.com/homepages/ia3013/html/iomsac.html

We are diving almost everyday at the moment in brilliant sunshine and fabulous visibilty. Last Sunday I dived with a group from England one of them had been diving for 30 years and said it was the best place he had ever dived, also just this morning while out on one of the headlands I had the pleasure of watching atleast 10 Basking sharks enjoying Port Erin Bay.

Give it a try you won't be disappointed

yeah i agree!! im over on the island now, cant wait for the sea to warm up a little.

ive come across these guys - www.mannscubadivers.co.uk - look pretty good - seem to be the only PADI folk on the island.

cant find them in google thou, so maybe new?

amx

Back
Top Bottom