The inmates are running the asylum.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deepsea21

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just a heads up for all, if you use any form of heavier duty ziplock bag be it gallon size down sandwich size to keep things dry or God forbid in my case need some to pack with ice to ice an injury make sure you bring them with you. As you walk past all the nooks and crannies and electric conduits and holes stuffed with discarded plastic bottles and trash to get to the Mega beware, once inside you’ll pass thousands and thousands of items packaged in plastic but when you get to the plastic bag section the ziplock bags will be on display but behind some yellow caution tape that has been put up for some reason. So, grabbing a box of gallon size ziplock bags and other items we head to the checkout counter were we are informed that while still on the shelf the store now refuses to sell them! Excuse me? Over come a manager who also explains they are no longer for sale even though they are still on the shelf. We then head to Chedraui and find no ziplock bags whatsoever on the shelf. Now, you can still purchase those cheap little folding plastic sandwich bags by the 100’s that you ate PB&J sandwiches out of for lunch in the 2nd grade and you can purchase all the kitchen trash bags you want but apparently ziplock bags are now banned on the island. Got to say that over 20 years visiting the island I’ve never seen one on a beach, in the water, or blowing around town but maybe others have that has caused this outright panic and ban of the sale of these things. What a joke! I’ve no problem with banning plastic grocery bags but ziplock bags? C’mon.

Agreed that it doesn't make a boatload of sense, but it is what it is. Rather than try and take some from behind the area blocked with tape and warnings, I just asked someone to bring some down in their suitcase for me. I will note that we used to have tons of plastic bag trash blow into our yard from the torta shop next door. Not the case anymore.

We just have friends bring them when they visit or order from Amazon Mx. A bit strange but all part of the charm of living in Cozumel!

Its because of the islands recycling rules. It happened to Sams Club a few months ago. The government just shows up and looks at the items if they do not comply, they do not take them but put the big yellow tape X. If they sell them, it’s a big fine. Try and find a plastic plate or silverware. There are shops that just sell approved disposable items and nothing else.

3P’s to the rescue! Someone at my preferred dive op read my post and gave my wife 7 or 8 of the heaviest duty zip-locking bags I’ve ever seen. I think I could fill these with ice and jump up and down on them. Thank you 3P’s! I’ll never leave home without these. These will last for years.

Its because of the islands recycling rules. It happened to Sams Club a few months ago. The government just shows up and looks at the items if they do not comply, they do not take them but put the big yellow tape X. If they sell them, it’s a big fine. Try and find a plastic plate or silverware. There are shops that just sell approved disposable items and nothing else.
Thanks for the explanation. Learn something new every day.

The government just shows up and looks at the items if they do not comply, they do not take them but put the big yellow tape X.
comply with what? can you explain..

3P’s to the rescue! Someone at my preferred dive op read my post and gave my wife 7 or 8 of the heaviest duty zip-locking bags I’ve ever seen. I think I could fill these with ice and jump up and down on them. Thank you 3P’s! I’ll never leave home without these. These will last for years.
Thank AA

comply with what? can you explain..
Jeez, don't you remember, the turtles are dying because plastic straws!!!!! All consumer plastics are bad.
Has nothing to do with the massive number of a 'ghost' abandoned fishing nets

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom