"The incredible shrinking diaphragm"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cdharris

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I did my due diligence before creating this thread -- Google revealed nothing for diaphragm and shrink (any verb tense) on SB. Shrink wrap, yes; shrinking diaphragm, no. So I'm pretty sure this isn't common.

Now I'm not talking here about a Voit MR12 2nd stage diaphragm from 1966.

This is a 21st century reg. A Zeagle Flathead VI-ZX. Sure, it has seen its share of dives, but I have never taken it into the leachate pond at a hazardous waste landfill, or used it as a respirator while on a petroleum refinery tour.

Nonetheless, this diaphragm is more than 1 mm smaller than the rim over which it is intended to seat. And no amount of cajoling is going to make it fit. I've tried. Over and over and over.

The Zeagle rep (via Facebook) tells me it is time for an overhaul. To which I respond, yes, indeed -- when my new HOG needs it!

Of course, I'll gladly revise that perspective if I read here that many, many other regs have behaved this badly. Otherwise, this is going into my graveyard of faulty regulators.

I figured maybe the fine folks at Zeagle would comp me a new part and I'd go away happy. But naaah, my allegiance apparently isn't worth $14 (ZeagleExpress). To add insult to injury, I was offered an annual service for the low, low price of only $35 per stage, plus parts. Ouch! What ever happened to "Made in America" customer service and QA/QC?

Fine. I have LOTS of regulators and I don't need one that I can't trust. Failed seats and free flows I can handle, but a collapsed diaphragm? That is a drowning waiting to happen.

Heck, I own vintage regs with 30+ year old diaphragms practically as supple as the day they were made. This includes the first reg I ever bought, a 1975 Calypso IV. IMO, a diaphragm that hasn't seen its tenth birthday should not act like this!

So how about it? Has anybody else experienced "the incredible shrinking diaphragm"? Hope not.

Nope. Not sure the "oldest" 2nd stage I've opened, probably late 1970's Scubapro -109 with its original diaphragm.... no shrinkage.

FYI: I own two early Zeagle Flathead VI's with the ZX 2nd stages.... no shrinkage, they have their original diaphragms... I assume you are talking about the 2nd stage, but the same goes for the diaphragms in the Flathead 1st stages....

I'm "clueless", sorry...

Best wishes.

Nope... no shrinkage.

FYI: I own two early Zeagle Flathead VI's with the ZX 2nd stages.... no shrinkage, they have their original diaphragms... I assume you are talking about the 2nd stage...

I'm "clueless", sorry...

Best wishes.

Indeed, it is the 2nd. In fact, it is the 2nd stage orifice adjustment that you helped me with that turned up this little peculiarity. A couple years ago, I thought it seemed a little tight when I reassembled it after a particularly sandy beach dive.

A few months after that, I had it serviced and they (who shall remain nameless) didn't mention it. But now, I can't get it back in place as of a couple nights ago. Even wet. It is WAY too small at this point. It'd likely rip if I forced it, and it kinks otherwise. Breathes like a dream though! Only problem would be the baleen whale imitation I'd be doing once I took it diving. :D

Fortunately, I wasn't kidding about the HOGs. I recently purchased several, so they will be my go-to's going forward. And who knows, maybe this shrunken diaphragm will fit one of those old MR-12s.

Buy another and move on.

I thnk I missed your point ... another what? Drink? Diaphragm? Regulator?

Perhaps I wasn't clear: I'm not looking for advice, I'm asking about other people's experiences.

Don't get me wrong, but you seem to think this is akin to a toothbrush.

Instead, like people on SB are fond of saying, this regulator is life support equipment, which is only a few months beyond a one year service interval. I don't know about you, but I don't find that too comforting.

If it is any consolation, however, I have called it lots of dirty names.

Indeed, it is the 2nd. In fact, it is the 2nd stage orifice adjustment that you helped me with that turned up this little peculiarity. A couple years ago, I thought it seemed a little tight when I reassembled it after a particularly sandy beach dive.

A few months after that, I had it serviced and they (who shall remain nameless) didn't mention it. But now, I can't get it back in place as of a couple nights ago. Even wet. It is WAY too small at this point. It'd likely rip if I forced it, and it kinks otherwise. Breathes like a dream though! Only problem would be the baleen whale imitation I'd be doing once I took it diving. :D

Fortunately, I wasn't kidding about the HOGs. I recently purchased several, so they will be my go-to's going forward. And who knows, maybe this shrunken diaphragm will fit one of those old MR-12s.

Ahhhh. If I replied to a thread more than 20 minutes in the past, I'm likely to have forgotten, sigh. My memory is shrinking right along with my hairline.

I still haven't gotten around to fixing my ZX's.... having too much fun with my "old" Scubapro regs.

Let us know how you like your HOG's. I've always thought if I wanted a NEW reg I'd probably get a HOG.... but buying older regs and servicing them is an addictive habit, and has resulted in too many regs in my "dive locker".

Best wishes.

this diaphragm is more than 1 mm smaller than the rim over which it is intended to seat. And no amount of cajoling is going to make it fit. I've tried. Over and over and over.

Are you sure the lever is not too high and/or the diaphragm is not upside down?

Instead, like people on SB are fond of saying, this regulator is life support equipment, which is only a few months beyond a one year service interval. I don't know about you, but I don't find that too comforting.

Maybe you'd feel better if you took responsibility for your own dive safety and didn't believe that a 2nd stage failure would cause your death. You have an alternate 2nd stage and a buddy, right?

I've taken apart dozens of 30 year-old + 2nd stages, lots of newer ones, and have never ever seen a "shrinking" silicone diaphragm. Maybe you could post a photo, I'm sure several folks would like to see it.

The Zeagle rep (via Facebook) tells me it is time for an overhaul. To which I respond, yes, indeed -- when my new HOG needs it!

Hello again cdharris :)

I figured maybe the fine folks at Zeagle would comp me a new part and I'd go away happy. But naaah, my allegiance apparently isn't worth $14 (ZeagleExpress). To add insult to injury, I was offered an annual service for the low, low price of only $35 per stage, plus parts. Ouch! What ever happened to "Made in America" customer service and QA/QC?

You had mentioned that you had last had it serviced about a year ago, so I was taking advantage of the opportunity to take care of your diaphragm issue as well as a yearly service. I was going to comp you a new part, several new parts actually. The trick being that I needed to have it in my hands so that I could do the work and just tell Susan in Service "I upgraded some stuff, don't worry about the charges." Instead of just sending you the parts I wanted to get into the reg and see what was causing the exhaust valve to stick (your other comment on Facebook) so we could see if something could be learned from it. Mundane sounding, I know, but we like to see what happens to our stuff out in the field after several years of use.

If you'd like, PM me your address and I'll send you the two parts. But my offer for sending it back to the factory for service still stands, I'll even write off the service charge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom