The importance of briefing your dive plan to a non-diving person

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've thought about doing this when backpacking, but do you worry that putting a return date on your car is an invitation for thieves? Or do you just figure that any theif willing to head to a trailhead pretty mych knows that the vehicles are going to be unattended for an extended period?

As for diving, I always tell my wife where/when I'm going, and call her as soon as I'm out of the water.

From good advice on other threads here, I plan to also leave a list of safety/signalling equipment I'm carrying so rescuers know what to listen for...

When we backpacked, it was in pretty remote areas. But we also would talk with the ranger station before heading up and knew their schedule. We never had a problem with break ins, most of the time there was nothing left for anyone to take but the vehicle. Like I said, if someone wants something, nothing will stop them from taking it. From the cases of lost hikers, most of the time it was rangers who found their vehicle after a family member reported them missing. It's definitely easier for them to find you when they have your path and destination to go by. But in the end, it's what you feel most comfortable with.

Be safe!
Carolyn:sharks:

All the important numbers are in my cell phones, but I guess after reading Ber's story I need to make a card to put in my wallet. I just assumed EMS would start looking through the contact list, specifically the speed dial list.

It would save them a lot of time if you label one or more of them on the phone as ICE (In Case of Emergency). Someone already mentioned it on here, but really didn't go into it. Most EMS look for it these days I'm sure and it turns a huge "phone book" into one or two people to call.

It would save them a lot of time if you label one or more of them on the phone as ICE (In Case of Emergency). Someone already mentioned it on here, but really didn't go into it. Most EMS look for it these days I'm sure and it turns a huge "phone book" into one or two people to call.

Most EMS but not all evidently even when the phone is in plain sight. I didn't go into it because I figured we had all gotten that email at least 4 or 5 times and DandyDon, among others has mentioned it on the board. Might be worth it to contact your local EMS and find out if they've ever heard of it.

To make emergency contact numbers even easier to find you can put a number in front of your contact with ICE after the name so they are always at the top of your contact list.

Mine looks like this:
1 Bruce (ICE)
2 Bonnie (ICE)
3 Mandy (ICE)

Then the rest of my contacts are alphabetical.
Ber :lilbunny:

Back
Top Bottom