The "harsh" realities of pressure on Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jhelmuth:
Sorry for being ill-informed - but what does this mean in English?
A regulator is like a 200MPH rated tire. Whether you drive it at 55MPH or 80MPH it'll still hold up just fine, thank you. It may wear a little more at 80, but either way it'll far exceed its design service life.
IOW, while there may theoretically be more wear & tear on the consumables inside a reg when using it with high pressure, it isn't enough to make any practical difference in the real world. Regular service intervals apply.
Rick

Rick Murchison:
A regulator is like a 200MPH rated tire. Whether you drive it at 55MPH or 80MPH it'll still hold up just fine, thank you. It may wear a little more at 80, but either way it'll far exceed its design service life.
IOW, while there may theoretically be more wear & tear on the consumables inside a reg when using it with high pressure, it isn't enough to make any practical difference in the real world. Regular service intervals apply.
Rick

If I understand you correctly, you are implying that the argument for "special" regulator brands/models for 300 bar utilization is not a very valid argument (since the wear and tear isn't enough to make any practical difference in the real world).

Atomic Walrus & DA Aquamaster,

Talk about "adiabatic cooling load" - phase change of breathing mix supply from liquid state to gaseous state is something I hadn't really thought about someone attempting before. Latent heat vs. sensible heat ya know . . . I suppose the great "diaphragm vs. piston" discussion over first stage freeze-up would have a new venue though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom