The Green Flash

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CBulla

~..facebook conch..~
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
OK my fellow narc-addicts... how many of you have seen the Green Flash at sunset? I've got the opportunity to spend a LOT of sunsets on the beach now and the past few afternoons have been perfect to catch it and I have, except in a picture... I'm working on that timing.

Where do I see it? Lovers Key State Park, the sunsets silouette Sanibel.

T&C's on the Sea Dancer back in 2000. On the way to the Dry Tortugas just out of Ft. Myers about three years ago.
Yarg

I hear that you see it here too...haven't been lucky yet.

Post pictures soon Colin!!

I have seen it over fresh and salt water at sunset and over saltwater at sunrise.
It is an awesome sight, and yes, I understand it is also seen over land and is photographable. You have to have a perfectly clear horizon to view it. No clouds where the sun rises or falls. And don't blink, or you will probably miss it.

Seen it a few times in various parts of the world.

Interesting web page here, including hints on how to see them.
http://mintaka.sdsu.edu/GF/

knotical:
Seen it a few times in various parts of the world.

Interesting web page here, including hints on how to see them.
http://mintaka.sdsu.edu/GF/

I've never seen it, but hope to someday. Great web site. Thanks.

What a great website showing the different flashes! Last night and the night before were just amazing in color and how long it hung out. A little info on why this opportunity is afforded to me right now - my wife and I are live-in volunteers at the State park and as such our living arrangements are via motorhome (our own we purchased) and very near the Gulf of Mexico. Since my volunteer duties include closing down of the park at night, I'm on the beach in a super golf cart reminding folks of the sunset closure thus I have a crowd watching for the "Green Flash" and getting a little ecology lesson by yours truely on local wild life seen hunting and/or biting (noseeums) and the islands while watching the sun disappear.

Last nights flash was amazing.. it looked like a green poof that seemed like it took 30 seconds to roll from the water up into nothingness and disappear.

I know an oceanographer that's seen TWO flashes on the same day. After eyeballing one at deck level, he hauled butt to the highest point on his ship and got a freebie. Now that's hardcore.

I've seen about a dozen, I've spent a lot of time at sea but didn't go out of my way to catch them. The bridge watch on the 4-8 were the green flash watchers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom