The Great Escape to Catalina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This thread is funny.....

Jim, California beach diving can be fantastic, (can suck too, but it is [mostly] free), but you really owe it to yourself to get out on another boat. Cee Ray is fine, but it's in the second tier of acceptable boats (IMHO only). Go out on the Great Escape, the Pac Star, or (sorry Ken), the Sundiver. Or go north and try the Peace or Spectre, or better yet the Truth boats, which are the closest you will find to a vacation-type liveaboard boat in Cal. Clean, well run, roomy, great food.

But lastly, the most important advantage boat diving has over beach diving - brownies and ice cream on the ride back on the GE :)

Some days are good for a boat dive -- get away from it all, wear yourself out, eat well, dive lots, nap, bullsh** with dive buddies. Some days are good for beach diving. Get home early, do chores, watch football.

Chris

Ok, warning....trying to sell spots for the dive club...

The SOCDC (I'm dive boat coordinator) has booked the Encore - the NICEST BOAT in Long Beach and possible SoCal (SB is not SoCal). the boat holds 36 cramped. I am only putting 26 divers max. I still have 8 spots left and 3 that people who booked and paid need to sell off. The boat is going to Ship Rock, Bird ROck, and that area of Catalina on Sunday Feb. 6th. PM me if you would like to go. It's only $105, food and fills included, and we will be doing 4 dives.

Laurel

scubalaurel:
Ok, warning....trying to sell spots for the dive club...

The SOCDC (I'm dive boat coordinator) has booked the Encore - the NICEST BOAT in Long Beach and possible SoCal (SB is not SoCal). the boat holds 36 cramped. I am only putting 26 divers max. I still have 8 spots left and 3 that people who booked and paid need to sell off. The boat is going to Ship Rock, Bird ROck, and that area of Catalina on Sunday Feb. 6th. PM me if you would like to go. It's only $105, food and fills included, and we will be doing 4 dives.

Laurel

Hi ScubaLaurel. I just want to make sure you got my payment for two spots on the Encore and my SOCDC membership. Please let me know because I REALLY need a dive. :confined:

DvrRick:
Hi ScubaLaurel. I just want to make sure you got my payment for two spots on the Encore and my SOCDC membership. Please let me know because I REALLY need a dive. :confined:

you poor, poor diver! I will have elpresidente checkthe club po box manana andlet you know!

It's gonna be soooo much fun!

L

scubalaurel:
you poor, poor diver! I will have elpresidente checkthe club po box manana andlet you know!

It's gonna be soooo much fun!

L

I'm all dried out, my scales are flaking off, my gills are barely working. I'm turning into some sort of land dwelling bi-ped. Need water, soon. maybe i'll just sit in the bathtub and suck on my regulator. :diver: Thanks for having it checked Laurel, I wanna dive! :D

DvrRick:
I'm all dried out, my scales are flaking off, my gills are barely working. I'm turning into some sort of land dwelling bi-ped. Need water, soon. maybe i'll just sit in the bathtub and suck on my regulator. :diver: Thanks for having it checked Laurel, I wanna dive! :D

Join the club! :thinkingo

Hmmm...I will add my .02 cents here.

For dive boats, can't beat the Great Escape or The Encore. My favorite dive company that charters on both of these boats: http://www.reefseekers.com I have dove with them for the past 3 years. Very professional.

There's alot to be said re boat diving vs shore diving. For me personally, I am with Jim on this one. It's free, free parking (Cresent, Shaws, Divers, Moss), free air/ or I use my free air card(s) that I got with my SOCDC membership at Laguna Sea Sports or Sport Chalet; I see more marine life beach diving then I do on a boat; also, I am not limited to gate times and 'Be Back Times'. If I want to dive for 90 minutes, I can without being rushed; also beach diving is great exercise. I think nothing of it swimming out to Deadman's, especially night diving...it's SSSSSSSSSooooooo beautiful!
BTW, I lead the 1st and 2nd Monday Night Dives in Laguna for SOCDC, come and join me!

Diver_Jan:
Hmmm...I will add my .02 cents here.

For dive boats, can't beat the Great Escape or The Encore. My favorite dive company that charters on both of these boats: http://www.reefseekers.com I have dove with them for the past 3 years. Very professional.

There's alot to be said re boat diving vs shore diving. For me personally, I am with Jim on this one. It's free, free parking (Cresent, Shaws, Divers, Moss), free air/ or I use my free air card(s) that I got with my SOCDC membership at Laguna Sea Sports or Sport Chalet; I see more marine life beach diving then I do on a boat; also, I am not limited to gate times and 'Be Back Times'. If I want to dive for 90 minutes, I can without being rushed; also beach diving is great exercise. I think nothing of it swimming out to Deadman's, especially night diving...it's SSSSSSSSSooooooo beautiful!
BTW, I lead the 1st and 2nd Monday Night Dives in Laguna for SOCDC, come and join me!

Most boats don't have gate times or be back times...Reek Seekers is the main shop that has those. We don't do those except maybe the last dive of the day.

L

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom