The giant manta rays of ecuador

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr Marshall is pretty much the guru these days. I have some folks going on the Arenui with her this March to check out mantas in Komodo - Raja Ampat. People were begging to get on this trip.

Wow...well, you were spot on with your description Laurence! Mind-blowing experiences with the mantas throughout the season this year, and we got nearly 600 IDs accounted for. I opted for the 7mm wetsuit in the end, and while I ended up using a thermal undersuit and hood a lot of the time, it was definitely the right combination, and I'll do the same next year. Sadly we also had a large number of entanglements in fishing nets/lines, and had to free many with the shears. A truly outstanding experience to visit this population though, and we've got plenty of data to work with from this year. Thanks for your advice, and I hope you get a chance to visit again. I haven't really had enough time to put together any good video from the trip, as I've been so busy processing the rest of the data, but I did post this a little while ago while out there, so you can see they're as huge as ever:
Freeloaders - YouTube

Hi Everyone,

I just recently did a dive with the mantas off Puerto Lopez and want to share my experiences. I highly recommend not going with Exploramar as a a dive company. If you are an experienced open water diver they don't try to put you with other experienced divers so expect to have to dive with other people who aren't qualified and even to have to do dives with people on discovery dives who have never dived before. This is obviously very frustrating as your dives will be slow, short and you don't get much of a chance to see the mantas. I saw a couple very briefly but most of the dive was spent looking after the discovery divers. So in short, pick one of the other companies in Puerto Lopez because Exploramar only care about getting your money, not giving you a good dive experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom