The future of this forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
opt in would be an option, but i say don't change much more than that
I say NOT to make it opt in because that would hide it from many new scuba divers that have never heard of DIR.

Users typically do a pretty good job of policing/beating to death various levels of DIR conformance. Those discussion often contain useful info.

Aggressively moderate/delete posts that are merely trolling or expressing anti-DIR attitudes in the DIR Forum.

Don't delete the ones that ask for explanations of the reasons behind the catechism.

Charlie Allen

Lynn, you're doing fine.

As for this forum being anything "a place for definitive DIR answers", unless JJ himself starts posting regularly, it will never, ever be that.

It's a discussion forum about a topic that generates a lot of debate. What's wrong with that?

-S

I think the forum has value to a lot of people ... so yes, I think it belongs on ScubaBoard.

jeckyll:
Edit: Maybe even make it a requirement that people who post here have in their profile the level of GUE / DIR training received and passed.
I don't agree with this at all ... I'd hazard that the majority of the people who get value to this forum have no DIR training at all, and come here because they're thinking about whether or not it would offer what they're looking for.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If ya' ask me: This is the correct spot for "the answer" to most DIR questions, "Think about it." At this point even the GUE site acknowledges that different locales and conditions may lead teams to different solutions to the ideal optimization for their task at hand. Please, leave it open(not opted in) and conitue the excellent dialogue that has no doubt lead many divers to at least think about why and how they are doing things.

Charlie99:
I say NOT to make it opt in because that would hide it from many new scuba divers that have never heard of DIR.

there is that

Charlie99:

Users typically do a pretty good job of policing/beating to death various levels of DIR conformance. Those discussion often contain useful info.

Aggressively moderate/delete posts that are merely trolling or expressing anti-DIR attitudes in the DIR Forum.

Don't delete the ones that ask for explanations of the reasons behind the catechism.

Charlie Allen
I say opt in. Make it like the solo divers forum: You request opt in if you are curious enough to want to read, and you're automatically accepted. Whether or not you ever do it, it's not that tough to find out or figure out what Solo diving is. DIR is not all that different... it's not like it's never mentioned outside of the DIR forum, so if people don't come in here, they'll never know.

I don't think formal GUE training should be a requirement.

I'm not taking Fundies until September (nearly a year after I tried to take it the first time). It would be a shame, IMO, if I had missed out on the actual informative discussions that have taken place in here since last November, just because I haven't been able to take the course yet.

JeffG:
Snort, cough LOL

Why worry about it? Let the herd decide, and drop the heavy moderation of the forum.

I nominate JeffG.

:eyebrow:

Ben_ca:
But do the let the trouble makers opt in?

You know who they are... They post in the DIR forum just to argue and do not provide anything useful

You know, quite honestly it was the crap from the trolls that drove me away from this forum. Just got tired of the same old same old.

That being said, it does serve an interesting function in terms of offering some people exposure to DIR that would otherwise never have heard of it.

If I want to talk "DIR" I'll go hang out with my dive buddies, it is just too difficult to do over the internet. With that in mind, maybe leave the forum the way it is-it at least gives people a way to connect and gives others a glimpse of DIR, for better or worse.

Jeff, if we drop the "heavy moderation" of the forum, what differentiates it from general scuba, or the general technical diving forum? (I'm not being sarcastic or hostile here, I honestly don't know the answer to the question.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom