The fish that took me under !!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

East West

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Spearfishing is a great sport but has risks when doing more advanced skills. My wife and I were down in Mexico to a spot I found years past. I had made numerous trips and speared some big fish here. We arrived at the fish camp and was greeted by the locals who knew us well .A short time later Eddy took me out in his lobster boat and I was in the water. Conditions were different as there was quit a bit of kelp growing and the water temperature was much colder.My game was to spear large yellowtail 30 to 50+ pounders that were here. My tackle was a little unforgiving a six foot shaft attached to 30 feet of steel cable then to 50 feet of line and float. After 10 minutes I got a shot and the fish was pulling hard. Sometimes you can be very lucky and make a kill shot ,this was not the case. I was tryng to keep the fish from wrapping up in the kelp so I not giving it much line. I still had not surfaced to get a breath of air when I made a near fatal mistake.I made a wrap around my hand at the end of the steel cable to muscle the fish up . While pulling the fish closer to me we made eye contact and it went ballistic.The cable slide Thur my hand till it got to the swivel which made it tight knot .I was now being pulled quickly down and still had not got a breath of air fighting the fish for more than a minute. What are my options? try to cut the cable or may be better to cut my thumb off no joke. Totally exhausted I kicked like hell and the cable pulled off taking some flesh off my thumb .The flesh can grow back but not my life thank God. It really shook me up for a few minutes till reloaded and began hunting
again

/

Thanks for sharing that. Shooting fish that we can't pull at will is a different game. Getting pulled down right when you want to go UP....whoooaaaa. Heavy.

Cool story. I have been wanting to take up spearfishing.

Back
Top Bottom