The first dive is an adjustment dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snipped...

This past few months I did 2 dives in Ft. Lauderdale and 2 dives in San Diego. Each time I felt jacked up on my first dive. I was frustrated with myself that I didn't have better buoyancy or better breathing rates. Then I realized, everything's different, the circumstances are different, so dive #1 = find the adjustments you need to make. It's not as much fun to be down on that first dive knowing something is off and it needs to change, but that's what dive #1 is all about. Between dive #1 and dive #2 in San Diego I dropped 8 pounds of weight! Man, it was nice to get that extra weight off and Dive #2 was much much better! And that's how it always is, Dive #2 is much better!

Like you, I dive when and where I get a chance. I've done surf entries, boat entries, cold, warm, salt, fresh, drifts for both salt and fresh and they're all a little bit different the first time out (so far anyway). The only places I've dived more than once are my local quarry and BHB in West Palm Beach, FL. Add to that gear tweaks and nothing is ever exactly the same.

I am religious about keeping track of conditions, including my weight, exposure protection (down to gloves and booties thickness), surface and depth temps, equipment I used/carried, where I carried it, and of course a fair amount of verbiage about how I felt during the dive on top of the details I like to keep about what I saw. I'm slowly dialing in a calibration matrix that gives me a good basis for what to start with on a given dive.

I will say, though, that 8 pounds seems to be too much adjustment. I've never had to change more than 4 pounds and that was adding weight to accommodate the addition of a second wetsuit for a night dive when I got unexpectedly cold during an afternoon dive in Hawaii. (I don't use a lot of weight though so that could be part of it...)

Similare to what Lynn has stated, we plan on the first dive of any trip being a shakedown dive. In some cases, it all goes smoothly and the dive plan is potentially modified, but if not, adjustments get made, problems get ironed out, etc.

Even on comparatively simple single tank OW dives we've needed adjustments in new surroundings/conditions. For example we did a beach dive in Bermuda and discovered the water really is saltier there and we had to add weight. Fortunately the dive shop was a hut on the beach about 100' from the entry point.

I know a couple people that just take the camera housing on dive 1 of a trip, to do a leak test of their housing. Interesting, but I haven't done that. Sometimes I take the camera right off, sometimes I don't. It really just depends on where/conditions/etc or if I just don't feel like dealing with it :)

I pretty much know exactly what I need for everywhere I have been and plan to go in the next two years (1.5 or 3mm full suit and no weights) - I travel with a SS plate, so up to a 3mm full suit, I don't need weight with an AL80. I dive locally a lot so I know what I need for whatever the conditions may be.

I would love to get up to the PNW area (eg Puget Sound) for some diving, and since I haven't needed to dive dry in salt water before, I would take few minutes to do both a weight check and quick shake-down to make sure everything's good to go.

This is a good reason to keep a log book of at least your setup, water temp, gear, and weighting as a newer diver or a diver with bad memory :D

Let me add that as you accumulate AND LOG your dives, you should note the equipment you wear for each as well as the location, and the proper weight. You will create a "database" that will let you be close to if not spot on on weighting for every situation. There is, as you have learned , a big difference in weighting for salt waster as opposed to fresh, and exposure suit changes impact weight a bunch. Don't forget that the size and type of tank has a huge impact as well. Note all these things in your dive log. Of course, a proper weight check is essential before each dive of the day or trip, unless you have date for identical circumstances. But even then, the first dive is a bit of a shakedown cruise if you have been out of the water for a while. Good for SoccerJeni for understanding that. happy and safe diving to all!
DivemasterDennis

Yeah, 8 pounds is a lot for sure! That happened because of a miscalculation of the weight I had on. We added wrong. Lol. In the water I was like, crap! I cannot stay up!!!! I readded after the dive and realized I was ridiculously over weighted.

I do have an added change you really can't plan for which is I have lost 28 pounds. So pretty much everything is different. :)

Anytime I buy new equipment, the first dive is an adjustment dive, always without camera. You don't mention if you own your own equipment. I dive in quite a few different venues, warm and cold. With that in mind, I bought all of my equipment and lug it around with me. My daughter dives less often, but because she has her own equipment, that 1st shakedown dive is usually fairly easy. Usually the cost in airline luggage fees (unless flying Southwest!) is about what renting would cost. Several that I dive with rent gear, and every time is like a 1st dive with new equipment- different wetsuit, different age of wetsuit, regs, fins, etc.

of course, YMMV.

Congrats on the weight loss. I have recently lost 15 pounds (and counting), but for better or worse really hasn't changed much in diving.

There are things that you can do to reduce the "adjustment" factor on those first dives. First of all, I see you are PADI trained. Find an instructor that does a great job with the Peak Performance Bouyancy course (get references). This course will help you find the optimal weighting you need and learn the finer points of bouyancy control. Secondly, keep a detailed dive log with info are exposure protection and weighting needed for different environments and gear set up tips/ thoughts. Thirdly, find a dive spot closer than 4 hours even if it is colder and lower vis. Frequency of diving makes a world of difference. You may be surprised to find that you might actually enjoy the challenges of low vis diving.

Like James said, the log book is your best friend when it comes to changing dive conditions. It takes a little time but eventually you will know the proper env. protection for water temp, using proper weight, etc.

Congrats on your determination.

Listen to these guys- logging is the only way to go. Wetsuit, drysuit, warm, cold, shallow, deep. I keep detailed info on this , and it is absolutely indispensable.

Back
Top Bottom