The End of the World starts Wednesday...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would assume the phycisists at CERN to have some kind of idea what they are doing and I doubt theill be able to blow up the universe with this machine either. Then again, we have all seen the "experiement gone wrong" movies havent we :p

wwohoooo - so i guess i shouldnt pay my bills this week
The thought struck me too, but then I came to realize that if Im waporized on wednesday my money wont do me much good afterall :rofl3:

The thought struck me too, but then I came to realize that if Im waporized on wednesday my money wont do me much good afterall :rofl3:

true.. but i could take all my money and buy shoes and at least have some joy out of them while waiting

What is it with women and shoes? :p

I would assume the phycisists at CERN to have some kind of idea what they are doing and I doubt theill be able to blow up the universe with this machine either. Then again, we have all seen the "experiement gone wrong" movies havent we :p

I was talking to a friend of mine (who's an astrophysicist, which makes him the most knowledgeable person I know about this stuff) about this. He had a good point - every day the earth is hit billions of times by cosmic rays; small particles of matter travelling at extremely high speeds. When these things impact the atmosphere they do exactly what CERN's new toy does - those atoms get smashed. The only difference is that cosmic rays are millions of times more energetic than anything CERN can pump out.

Meaning, CERN doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell of making a black hole; if it was possible cosmic rays would be constantly making bigger ones (by which I assume also means "more dangerous) all the time.

The above is from memory, so the details are guaranteed to be wrong, but the overall message should be right...

Bryan

If it was a hollywood disaster movie they would have a 103% chance of blowing us all to heck all the same tho :p

Back
Top Bottom