The Dredge 5-17-7 Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I got a call from my buddy Kenny Robinson this afternoon. He had spent the day on a charter boat reel fishing and noticed the gulf calming throughout the day until it was damn near glass this afternoon. He decided he wanted to drag his boat out for a little spearfishing and needed a buddy. I was happy to oblige. :) He pulls up at Boggy Point around 6PM with the SS Minnow in tow, think 17' bass boat without GPS or bottomfinder. We toss all the gear onboard and I'm thinking we'll be swimming back to shore if he's wrong about the seas. LOL I grab my handheld Garmin GPS and we head out into the Gulf making quick time to site.

Kenny lost his anchor on his last fishing excursion, so I toss a bouy on my #s. We're diving between slack tides with an outgoing tide, so I get Kenny to circle around upcurrent from the bouy line. I roll off the boat and drop down the line to see the weight in the middle of the wreck, awesome. I tie in, find an anchor and bring it up with me(SS Minnow now has an anchor again). We tie the boat off to bouy and the both of us drop back down to the wreck. Visibility on the top 10' was around 3' or less, but it opened up to around 15' the rest of the way down(and the current was much much less on the bottom). There are a ton of spades and snapper(mostly undersized, but some nice ones mixed in if you wait) onsite, also small amberjack and sheepshead. Look a bit closer on the wreck and you'll see toadfish, soapfish, damsels, and flounder. I take my limit in Snapper(2) and watch Kenny struggle with a gun who's range just wasn't adequate for the fish today. Hit a max depth of 29' for a dive lasting 47 minutes. Water temps were around 75F. We exitted the water when it started getting a bit dark and headed back in. Gulf dive off a bassboat and brought back a new anchor and a couple snapper, great night!

Snapper333.jpg

Nice report.

Did you get in a fight with the one on your right? (one on the left in the picture)

Sorta, bad shot placement so the fish wasn't stoned. It attempted pulling off the speartip, but that wasn't happening since I was using a breakaway :D Just an angry, bustedass, snapper trying to beat me into the wreck.

LOL

So Mat, can you photoshop a red circle on your photo of where the sweet spot is on a fish? Or direct me to a place that already has one...

1-1.5" behind the eye will usually stone a snapper, grouper, or AJ. Same if you can sever their spine with the shot.

SuPrBuGmAn:
1-1.5" behind the eye will usually stone a snapper, grouper, or AJ. Same if you can sever their spine with the shot.

Mat you is the Master stoning the AJ’S !! Nice fish you have there my friend I sure hope you left s few for Sat for me. Any reports on Flounders? I want that Jackpot! I take it you guys never made the trip out to three mile barge.

You should have signed up with me and Shane you would have been more than welcomed. Think about the next one in June

Biggest flounder I saw on the Dredge was 2lbs or so, you'd be better off hitting the shore dives and getting really picky on the big ones.

I've been to 3 Mile Barge before, but yesterday we wanted something close inshore. Seas were actually fairly rough yesterday the farther offshore you went, especially considering our mode of transportation(bassboat). Dredge was the closest spot aside from just dumping down to the mooring block on 1 Mile Bouy.

Had a blast!

SuPrBuGmAn:

Snapper333.gif

Like that?

Just joking BTW... :wink:

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom