The DIR Team -- Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah I agree that having number #1 responsible for navigation and team unity is a bit weird. But its not the end of the world nor even atypical. Part of this comes down to was this "really" a 35ft reef bimble at an excruciatingly familiar site or was it some sort of simulation of an advanced and/or deeper, darker, or overhead dive where one person should not be trying to do it all.

I don't think I'd wanna dive with someone who (e.g.) on a recreational dive at 35ft under ambient light with 15+ft of vis wanted me staring at them heads up and within arms reach at every moment. By the same token, I wouldn't want to dive with someone who insisted on leading, navigating, running the line, following, calling a long deco, shooting the bag and everything else needed for a successful tech (or cave) dive.

Bjorn -- your suggestion is, of course, the simplest way of solving the particular issue -- but I'm actually more interested in the perceived "DIR" answer.

In this particular case, the instructor made the comment "You may be too comfortable in the water" which I took as an interesting observation.

WhoTF is Bjorn and why is he posting here?

The DIR answer is to do things properly to begin with. If you start off messed up there is no DIR answer.

Yeah I agree that having number #1 responsible for navigation and team unity is a bit weird.

It is. Number 1 is not responsible for team unity. Number 2 is.

don't think I'd wanna dive with someone who (e.g.) on a recreational dive at 35ft under ambient light with 15+ft of vis wanted me staring at them heads up and within arms reach at every moment. By the same token, I wouldn't want to dive with someone who insisted on leading, navigating, running the line, following, calling a long deco, shooting the bag and everything else needed for a successful tech (or cave) dive.

Agreed.

Ahhhh, so it is.

Yup, Bjorn = me.

Were you taking offense with my post in which I said that the distance question should be solved by the team in post dive discussion, or with Peters response to my post?

Bjorn

Yup, Bjorn = me.

Were you taking offense with my post in which I said that the distance question should be solved by the team in post dive discussion, or with Peters response to my post?

Bjorn

Neither. I just wasn't sure who or what post Peter was referring to when he said "Bjorn". So I went back over all the previous posts and looked at the author box on the left side and didn't see a Bjorn anywhere.

Neither. I just wasn't sure who or what post Peter was referring to when he said "Bjorn". So I went back over all the previous posts and looked at the author box on the left side and didn't see a Bjorn anywhere.

Oh, ok. I thought you were upset by something I'd posted.

I do have a question though:

In fundies we used the chevron formation whenever actually moving along the line. The echelon formation makes a lot of sense (i.e. splitting the comm and nav functions) but wasn't used. So, by default, I would be tempted to use the chevron formation for practice dives.
(I think that the change in formation wouldn't eliminate the concern that Peter's teammate had with visibility btw. I think if Peter was number 2 and diver 3 wanted to see diver 1 in a 1-2-3 echelon the 1->3 distances would be similar to the line abreast)

Any idea why chevron would be used in fundies? Would it make the instruction easier?

Thanks

Bjorn

All we used was 3 abreast in fundies and the lead diver was in the middle and did nav (though it was mentioned that tasks could be handed off to other team members).

The chevron, which position is it pointing (does that make sense?)? Is the middle diver in the forward position or in the rear position? How far apart (front to back) is the formation?

JasonB: We had diver 1 in the "pointy" forward position in the center. In my class the offset was very slight (a foot or two at most) so that position 1 could easily see 2 & 3 without having to look back too far.

So if we were moving to ward the top of the page it would look like this
2 3

Edit: had to put the - to make it line up

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom