The Debate : Split Fins or not ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmitch3938

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been diving with my blades and " vintage" sherwood graphite for awhile now and jumped on the wagon of the split fins and bought the SP twin jets. I was surprised at the weight of the fins as they are pretty heavy but really noticed the difference in the propulsion of the fins as I was getting much better propulsion with less effort with the full style versus the split fins, especially on the surface. My buddy has the apollos and swears by them and seems everyone is on the split fin style..anyone know of any major testing on the propulsion between the two style of fins ?

I don't know of any studies. Having both and diving both my personal observation is that blades will always be more versatile and faster in most situations.

Can not cite any studies but the few times I have tried split fins I have been underwhelmed. For me it is like pushing on a string - not much happens.

Ultimately, most fins aren't dramaticly different propulsion wise from the few studies I've seen. The differences seem to be marginal. Picking a fin may be more of a decision tree about the sort of diving you do and how it fits then trying to optimize your speed underwater. I used to use atomic splits. Great fins for non-dir diving. Foot pockets fit really well, no chafing, and the straps were great.

I switched to some OMS slipstreams with XS springs and while they do a great frog kick and are easy to get on and off with the springs, the foot pocket stinks compared to the atomics.

In light of my adventures with switching, I made my own fin buying decision tree:
1. Do the fins work properly on your dives?
2. Are they comfortable?

It really is that simple I think.

I'm too lazy to look it up, but some time back, a fellow did some timed swims in paddles and splits. As I recall, the splits were slightly faster. It didn't make much of an impression on me, since I rarely have any desire to go fast underwater, and if I need to go fast or swim against heavy current, I use a scooter.

To me, the biggest problem with split fins is the flutter kick, which at least in Puget Sound is an awful kick, because it raises so much silt.

I dove Twin Jets split fins for years and have now moved to Jet Fins and I would never go back. The Jet Fins work much better against current and are easier to perform the proper Frog Kick.

Great input, I knew it would come down to personal choice. I agree its not a speed race while diving, but like to know I can get out of the way if I need to..lol The comfort is about the same, I guess the big difference is the weight issue and not the propulsion factor.

It is extremely difficult to back up in most splits and impossible in others.

my 1st 900+ dives were with Dacor Turbos......my last 100+ have been mostly with Aeris Velocity splits.....took a while but the latter ones are OK now---Old habits are hard to break sometimes....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom